1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Three Southern Miss football players injured in nightclub shooting

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Nov 14, 2010.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Just breaking. Players not yet identified. Press conference scheduled for 1:30 p.m. CST.

http://www.hattiesburgamerican.com/article/20101114/NEWS01/101114006/USM+football+players+shot+at+nightclub

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I never understand this garbage. I've been to a million bars in my day. I've never seen a shooting. I've never seen a gun.

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Applebee's doesn't count.

4. Steak Snabler

The Hattiesburg American story linked above says that the cops have been called to the nightclub in question a total of 129 times this year. Sounds kind of par for the course.

5. Dick Whitman

I love the quote where the moron owner says that they've had stabbings there, but that was "years ago."

Like 2007.

6. Steak Snabler

Players ID'd --- defensive end Deddrick Jones, who has started every game this year; part-time starting linebacker Martez Smith and back-up linebacker Tim Green. All in stable, fair condition.

School says police told them none of the players were armed.

7. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Martez Smith paralyzed from the waist down.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ap-southernmiss-playershurt

Apparently you've never been to an "urban" club.

8. Dick Whitman

Just looks like a big college town club to me in the picture.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

No joke. Hell, I went to a club in freaking Lexington, Ky., and we all got evacuated after a gun went off. That club opened and closed about every three months. Cue the Chris Rock reference...

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

A few years back I was in NYC at club called LQ when I heard the distinctive sound of a glock going off.

Turns out some idiot had a loaded glock in the band of his pants and it fell on ground and went off-- hitting owner in leg.

11. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

HA getting drilled by the USM fanboi losers for daring to print facts. Ran a background story on Monday saying this was the third firearms incident involving Golden Eagle players since 2007. Fanbois put up a Facebook page calling for the university to ban the paper's beat writer for what they call the paper's "anti-USM bias."

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Post above said the school said none of the players were armed. Not sure you can paint this the same way as kids getting busted with a gun.

Draft saved Draft deleted