1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Three Pittsburgh police officers were killed and two others were injured...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 93Devil, Apr 4, 2009.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

None of which has anything to do with a well-regulated militia. Which is what the amendment was about. Your viewpoint is, constitutionally, prima facie fail.

For the millionth time: no amendment is absolute.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Gun ownership is not a right.
    What well-regulated militia are you a part of?

3. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Unfortunately for both of you most courts and the supreme court have a much different view than that and have for as long as any of us have been alive and likely will for as long as any of us will be alive........

So again, hysterical scare tactics and pulling on heart strings might get you a guest appearance on the Rosie O'Donnell show but it isn't likely to pass a judicial sniff test.

How do I know - like I said, a lot of precedence on my side of this one.....

4. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Ha, Rosie O'Donnell doesn't even have a show.

Take away the guns, and soon the press parking at Yankee Stadium won't be free. /cross-threading.

5. verbalkint

verbalkint Member

Just so that we're clear here, Mr. McVeigh was not first brought to violence by his love of bombs.

http://archives.cnn.com/2001/US/03/29/profile.mcveigh/

6. dooley_womack1

Yeah, well, I wonder which patriot will exercise his "constitutional right" against police officers, Alzheimer's patients or schoolchildren next?

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

"the People" not any individual.

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I still support Chris Rock's version of gun control.

9. zagoshe

Other than showing off your ability to use google -- what exactly is the point or relevance of this post?

10. zagoshe

Which constitutional right are you speaking of?

Because last I checked there isn't a constitutional right to kill people.

And Spnited -- you can keep dreaming and wishfully hoping that some day someone wearing a significant robe will legitimize your little hairsplitting act but unfortunately we haven't reached that day and I have a helluva lot of years of precedence which says, it is an individual right

11. dooley_womack1

What good is a gun for, other than to kill people? I know you love to argue, but what's so wonderful, in a non-tautological way, about the supposed right to have a gun?

12. verbalkint

verbalkint Member

His biggest fear was that the government would take his guns. The Brady Bill had been signed 18 months earlier, leading to a spike in the militia movement. He decided to live out "The Turner Diaries" and blow up a Federal Building.

My point is that your example of random, mass violence which did not include guns happened to include someone whose violence came because of his own obsession with guns.

Ironic, no?

Draft saved Draft deleted