1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Three Pittsburgh police officers were killed and two others were injured...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 93Devil, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I agree ... even though I've bought guns in both manners.

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

So I suppose you have gun control laws in mind which would have stopped Timothy McVeigh from blowing a gasket and going on a mass murdering spree?

Oh that's right, I suppose fertilizer is next on your list?

3. zagoshe

So if you make tougher sentences it will stop criminals from wanting to do crimes?

Yes, I suppose we can use as the model just how well this concept has worked in stemming the tide of drug trafficking and drug use hasn't it......

4. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Oh my god. You're totally right.

Since one person killed someone in a way that has absolutely nothing to do with guns, there shouldn't be rules governing guns and attempting to prevent crimes.

It's kind of like 9/11. Since those guys flew planes into buildings, we shouldn't outlaw smoking in restaurants. I can totally see what one has to do with the other.

5. schiezainc

I'm trying to find the logic in your point. I really am.

I'm not saying that deterrence is going to completely end the probably of illegal gun sales. I'm really not. What I'm saying is that if you want to get illegal guns off the street, a good way to do it is to go after the people buying and selling them. You're not going to catch everyone, but those that you do catch are going to no longer be problems...at least for the time they're away.

And I can see the connection between guns and drugs in terms of supply/demand, but there's a big difference between buying a dimebag of pot and something that can take someone's life.

6. zagoshe

Is that what I said?

Or did I say that we already have plenty of laws on the books aimed at controlling the sale of guns -- and that isn't solving the problem.

And Timothy McVeigh isn't the only -- or close to the only -- example of a lunatic who didn't need a gun to kill people - as in more than one person.

7. Inky_Wretch

So you're in favor of closing gun show loopholes to background checks? Willing to consider ending person-to-person gun sales without background checks?

8. schiezainc

If zag had his way, guns would be available for purchase at convienance stores across the country with no waiting period cause otherwise "the criminals win!"

9. zagoshe

I have no problem with tougher sentencing -- I just think history has shown us that it doesn't usually deter crime because violent psychos don't care about going to jail and thus the idea of tougher gun laws -- all of which will no doubt have a greater effect on people like me, an ordinary law abiding citizen -- solving or even slowing the problem is ridiculous.

10. zagoshe

What are we checking in backgrounds?

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

Why should anyone be allowed to own an AK-47? Why do we even allow them to be manufactured or imported or sold in this country?

12. Inky_Wretch

Whatever the local law says.

In some states, they check for criminal history. In others, they check to see if the person has ever been committed to a mental facility or has had a restraining order taken out against them.

Draft saved Draft deleted