1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Three longtime columnists at USA Today out?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by boundforboston, Apr 26, 2013.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

And Lopresti wouldn't be considered one of the most compelling columnists, but I recall we'll from my Gannett days how his columns had 2-3 stopping points, depending on how much of him you needed. Fit the bill for big events nicely

2. Walter Burns

Walter Burns Member

Lopresti was regarded as legendary in my last (non-Gannett) shop for having a column from some event (All-Star Game? BCS National Championship) done and sent before the AP full gamer.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Every night event he covered, not one special one.

4. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

It's disappointing he won't be in USA Today anymore, but Saraceno was under-used anyway. He would be an excellent fit at Grantland. I love the beard.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

This, this, this.

Lopo was consistently the fastest, cleanest writer on deadline I've ever had the pleasure of editing.

His columns weren't necessarily spectacular — I can't think of any off-hand that will stay with me forever, though I'm sure I could dig some up — but they were always interesting and thoughtful (and did I mention quick and clean copy? So quick and so clean. An editor's dream.)

6. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

Met Jonny at Super Bowl XLV in Dallas. Good guy. Hope he enjoys "retirement."

7. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Just saw Saraceno during NCAA basketball. Sorry to hear this on all three. ...

8. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Atta boy, Manky. Chin up, my friend.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Manky a friend? You need better friends. :D

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Nice item on Lopo:

http://www.oberjuerge.com/http:/www.oberjuerge.com/mike-lopresti-as-good-as-it-gets/

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Show me some all-day every-day bloggers who offer as much quality as Lopresti did three times a week.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

I agree. Blogging is nothing more than telling people what you think, without knowing a damn thing.

Draft saved Draft deleted