1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Three longtime columnists at USA Today out?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by boundforboston, Apr 26, 2013.

1. http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Closing-Bell/2013/04/26/USA-today.aspx

Michael Hiestand, Jon Saraceno and Mike Lopresti have reportedly accepted buyouts. About 80 years' experience between all three of them.
  2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I can't speak for the others, but I'm pretty sure Lopresti is 60. That seems young to retire...

He's one of the best there is. There are few better on deadline...
  3. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Some of Saraceno's columns could infuriate me, but overall I respected his writing skills (as I did the others). They will be missed at USA TODAY.
  4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Nowadays, what is the relevance of a daily media column? Deadspin, Big Lead, etc., are all over that stuff.

Not saying Hiestand did a bad job, mind you.
  5. Mizzougrad96

Back when USA Today was re-vamping it's staff last summer Saraceno was rumored to be headed to ESPN, but obviously nothing ever came of it.

I've never been a huge fan myself, but there are definitely a lot of people who really like him.
  6. Mizzougrad96

Yeah, I always enjoyed his column, but if they're trimming fat, that would seem to be one of the obvious places... You either bring someone younger and cheaper in, or you get rid of the column altogether...
  7. Mizzougrad96

I wonder if this will be just like last summer where they made cuts so they could hire new people...

I hate to see people get cut, but I would argue that USA Today is much better today than it was a year ago as a result of the people they hired...

I wonder if they're going to be making a splashy columnist hire soon...
  8. Cigar56

Cigar56 Member

I know all these guys and feel for them. But the days of the three-times-a-week sports columnists are over.

As another poster noted, the sports blogs, such as The Big Lead, Larry Brown Sports and the new The Shadow League are becoming quite good.

Nowadays its about blogging -- all day, every day.
  9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

There's relevance. But you have to be Deadspin, The Big Lead, etc.
  10. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Three great guys - which probably explains why they're out.
  11. Mike Lopresti came and spoke to my Journalism 101 class my sophomore year in college. I'm pretty sure I decided that day I wanted his job.

Within a year, I was literally sitting in his chair. I was working at Richmond, Indiana's Gannett shop. Mike's a Richmond native and still current resident. That's where his desk/phone/computer were. Of course, Mike rarely, if ever in the time I worked there, even stepped in the newsroom in Richmond. He was obviously traversing the country, and globe in Olympic years, covering the biggest events. So, I used his computer to type bowling agate as a college kid.

Coincidentally, after leaving the business, I found myself back in Richmond, Indiana as a high school journalism/English/speech teacher. I now advise students for the very high school paper Mike started working on when he was a kid. More coincidentally, my classroom is directly above Mike's wife's office. She's worked in the school for years, spending countless hours there while Mike was out on the road.

They're good people. This story means very little than me just sharing my thoughts. I'll certainly miss Mike's style...as alluded to earlier, I've met few, if any, better on deadline.

But, I'm sure I'll still see Mike quite a bit as he's about the only person I've ever met who likes Indiana high school basketball as much as I do.
  12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Saraceno out? Almost right after Jetes found out he couldn't return till June? I am worried about Manky's well-being
Draft saved Draft deleted