1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Three Killed in Shooting at Auburn Apartment Complex EDIT: Suspect in Custody

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Armchair_QB, Jun 10, 2012.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Re: Three Killed in Shooting at Auburn Apartment Complex

Your average SEC public school has about eight dozen entrances, plus plenty of student-heavy off-campus sites, like this complex, or the Strip in Tuscaloosa, where a wide receiver got shot a couple of months ago. There's only so much you can control.

2. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

I'm deeply saddened by this tragedy. Just as many were after VT...Today we're all Tigers.

I do have one question, and I'm just wondering, but why was Ladarious Phillips still in Auburn? He should have been enrolled at JSU this month. He should have been working out with his new team, not hanging at some pool party on the plains.

Wrong place, wrong time. Could have been avoided for him, though.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Does Alabama have stand your ground laws?

4. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Yes.

5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Story says the guy was charged with several crimes in 2008 and 2009, but it wasn't immediately clear what became of those charges. Call me crazy and hopelessly out of touch if you want, but should you really post such a thing without knowing what the resolution was? Can't take that long, can it?

6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Roll Tide

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Read somewhere - and I can't put my fingers on it now - that at least a couple of the cases went to the grand jury but they were no-billed.

8. dixiehack

And the other wounded?

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Just spitballing here, but maybe he was visiting friends?
    It was a Saturday night in June. I'm sure he still knew some folks at Auburn. Once he transfers, they don't put guards at the city limits to keep him out.

10. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

I can understand the logic. But if you're new to the football team at your new school (which he was not enrolled in) wouldn't you want to be bonding with your new teammates and trying to feel out the new school? I know Auburn is a great place to be. I understand he had friends there. But my question was more to the football aspect, not the life aspect.

Why was he not in Jacksonville? Why was he still not enrolled? Why was he hanging on to an old life which gave him nothing football-wise? The rumors of his laziness as a football player are ringing true now. It's no wonder he couldn't step foot on the field there.

11. dixiehack

Damn dude. My blood runs crimson, but the corpse is barely cold. A little perspective please.

12. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

I'm not saying the guy wasn't cool. As a matter of fact, everybody you talk to about him loved him. I know a number of folks who went to Handley with him, and all of them say he was the coolest cat in the world. It just kills me when you see things like this and how his life could have gone differently.

Everything happens for a reason, and it sucks this happened. I just see how it should have gone differently for Ladarious. But ifs and buts don't mean jack.

Draft saved Draft deleted