1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Three die in Free Press marathon

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mustangj17, Oct 18, 2009.

1. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Train smarter, not harder, mustangj.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Congratulations and all, but I've never seen the point of running a marathon. I guess proving I could run 26 miles doesn't appeal to me.

3. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I've heard that Detroit is a dying city, but this is a bit extreme.

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Nice crossthread, but I'm not really kidding.

I would not come near a marathon unless I knew I could run those 26.2 miles nonstop and training only putting in 40-50 miles per week, or whatever the estimates would not do it for me.

5. KG

KG Active Member

I've never understood why a race was created after a scenario where the guy died in the end.

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

It's the ultimate test of endurance. A rewarding experience.

But IMO, I sort of refuse to pay to run. Nothing like charging for a 5k or whatever. Running is the thing you never have to pay for, just go out and do it.

7. KG

KG Active Member

I've never been a good runner with my asthma (compounded by anemia), but it never stopped coaches from making me do it in school.

8. partain

partain Member

I'm a novice runner, having completed a few 5ks in very modest times. Someday I hope to complete a half-marathon. But I'm not sure I ever want to go 26.2.

That being said, I always laugh out loud when thinking of the following exchange in Run, Fat Boy Run:
    Guy #1: He's a runner. Runs marathons.
    Guy #2: Why?
    Guy #1: Exactly!

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Has Jon Saraceno written a column calling out distance running as an inhumane sport?

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

To me distance running is like dog fighting.

Draft saved Draft deleted