1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Three die in Free Press marathon

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mustangj17, Oct 18, 2009.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I haven't re-read the same information this many times since Brad Renfro died.

2. Chef

Chef Active Member

Were the other three in The Client?

I believe Youngmaster Renfro was; And was darn good to boot.

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

More from bizzarro world:

All three men died within 16 minutes of each other.

The third man, Jon Fenlon, 26 of Waterford, Mich. caught a home run ball hit by Magglio Ordoñez that sealed the Tigers' sweep of the Oakland A's - sending the team to the World Series in 2006.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I bet he was wearing Nike Shox. They have so much spring they can put you airborne if you are not careful.

5. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Divorce is easier than putting yourself through 5 a.m. training runs or 50-mile weeks.

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

If you are training for a marathon with 50-mile weeks you will likely be the next person to die during the marathon.

7. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

50-mile weeks, with the requisite rest day(s), will get you 26.2 with no problem, provided you have the proper base of fitness to start such a program in the first place. Yes, you might go over 50 during those weeks when you have a 20- or 22-mile training run on the schedule, but it is enough. I have four finish-line photos to prove it.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

For BYH, it came down to a choice between a marathon or sportsjournalists.com.

He chose this place.

9. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

With a base of 20 miles per week, a marathon is doable with 12 weeks of training and maxing out at 40-45 miles per week (long run of 18-20 miles). This won't get you o nthe podium but will allow an easy finish.

A generation ago, marathons were races. Now they are fun runs. Boston had an immovable qualifying time of 2:50 and there were 3-4,000 runners. Now it is open to almost anybody who can fund raise. The race isn't better or worse, it's just different. But if there is incentive for more people to run and maintain an exercise rpogram, then life is good. Unfortunately, studies show that new marathoners do not continue with training after their goal of finishing is met and tend to return to their pre-race activity level.

Not only do I feel bad for the families of the Detroit victims, I can appreciate the emotions of the race director and all the volunteers who are doing significant soul searching to hopefully realize, they could not have prevented the tragedy.

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I'm beginning to wonder if maybe this one shouldn't be, as long as OT keeps threadjacking everything with his knee-jerk , right wing-wacko responses. I do know I'm limiting my financial support of SportsJournalists.com as a result.

11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Maybe I'm the only person on SportsJournalists.com who wouldn't try to run a marathon with 50 mile weeks. I'd have to be pulling 8-10 weeks with 65-80 miles.

12. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Autopsies are going to be done today for all three runners...

http://www.freep.com/article/20091019/SPORTS23/910190362/1318/Autopsies-today-for-3-runners

Daniel Langdon, 36, of Laingsburg, near Lansing
    Rick Brown, 65, of Marietta, Ohio
    Jon Fenlon, 26, of Waterford
    All were running the half marathon.

Draft saved Draft deleted