1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Three die in Free Press marathon

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mustangj17, Oct 18, 2009.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

The ages of the two that collapsed -- 26 and 36 -- would indicate to me that we've got to be talking about genetic conditions.

2. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Could swine flu have anything to do with it? I know flu generally knocks you on your ass, but what if their symptoms took hold as the race was being run?

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Marathons are stupid. So are all of the other endurance events. Carry on.

4. Sleeper

Sleeper Member

I'm convinced many people train and compete in these events in order to spend hours and hours of time away from their significant other.

5. old_tony

While two died from apparent heart attacks, one fell and hit his head. How long before the nanny state's professional whiners tell us that all runners should wear helmets?

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Don't tell me you've got a problem with bikers being forced to wear helmets.

7. old_tony

I don't have a problem with bikers choosing to wear a helmet. I do have a problem with them being forced.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Seat belts an issue too?

C'mon. It's safer, plain and simple, with helmets on.

9. old_tony

Yeah, I also believe seat belts -- while obviously the smart choice -- should be a choice. But I do yield to the idea that a driver's license isn't a "right," so I can at least understand how some nefarious lawyers made the argument.

Riding a bicycle has no such thing as a license and as such should be strictly a matter of choice. When it comes to young kids, it's still a choice matter, but it's the parents' choice, not the kids'.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Not is that you?

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Boards have been shut down for less than this.

12. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Did the guy who hit his head fall off a bridge or something? I can't imagine hurting your head when you fall from running unless that's the case -- or you've been tripped. But still...

Draft saved Draft deleted