1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Three dead in F/A18 jet crash.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by bigpern23, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

It wasn't a training mission.

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Missing the point for $5,000, Alex.

3. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

The F/A-18D plane, which authorities described as disabled, was trying to land at Marine Corps Air Station Miramar. The jet had just performed landing training on a Navy aircraft carrier before the pilot reported having trouble, according to the Marine Corps.

4. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

So it was training over water?

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Since the best place to find an aircraft carrier is usually in, you know, water I'd say the answer to that question would be "yes".

6. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Aren't you cute.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

The base was there long before the University City neighborhoods/schools were built.

Keep building and building, eventually you're going to start running up against major military bases, unstable seaside cliffs and other places you really shouldn't be living too close to. But people don't care.

8. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

That's part of my point, I guess, buck.

Miramar is now bordered on three sides by dense suburban housing. When they first opened that tract to the military 90 years ago, there was nothing there. Same after WWII, and true for a long time after. No longer. It's still scrub and puckerbush to the East, where training aviators make their normal approach. But that's the only safe angle in - from the desert and the mountains.

From the sea side, though, how many hundreds of thousands of people now live between that airstrip and the ocean?

I can't believe they routed this plane - even (or perhaps especially) in an emergency - over all those homes.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I wish I knew the answer, jg. But here's part of the problem I was getting at:

Dammit, man, you're the one who chose to move next to MIRAMAR! What'd you expect? ::)

<a href="http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2008/12/09/military/z031c4387e14f8c6a8825751a005a56b8.txt">This NCT story</a> has a breakout box listing the details of at least 16 crashes near Miramar since 1999. (Plus two more from when the Navy operated the base before 1996.) Wow.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Since there is nothing but homes between the water and the base, how exactly would you route it back from a training mission over the ocean?

And the fuckwit in the quote Buck captured needs to shut the fuck up. Did you not notice the huge ass airbase down the street when you moved in? Fucking idiot.

11. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

In addition to the grandmother, mother and the one child who died, they are now combing the wreckage for a 15 month old child who is "missing"......makes me sick to my stomach.

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Just saw an AP news alert saying a fourth person has been confirmed dead.

Draft saved Draft deleted