1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thread started to share a cartoon, but has turned into a "happy holidays" debate

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by ondeadline, Dec 16, 2007.

1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Re: Enough of the PC "Happy Holidays" stuff!

Yeah, you're right. But my Jewish friends have never expressed any gripes over the "Christmas" parties at work or school. I've got no problem with having a "winter" pageant or saying happy holidays. But what "winter" songs do you sing at a pageant like that?

2. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

and christians and jews are the only type of people there are in the united states

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Of course they're not. But I still have a hard time believing a fucking pageant is anything to cause feathers to be ruffled -- no matter which religions or nationalities are involved. To me, it doesn't seem like that big of a deal.

4. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Personally, I could not care less if somebody says "happy holidays" just as I couldn't care less if they say "merry Christmas" or "happy hannakah" or "happy Kwanzaa." I think the rants that it is an assault on Christmas because everybody doesn't say "merry Christmas" is total BS. Somebody may be talking about Christmas AND New Year's when they say "holidays."

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

If you want your kids to sing about the birth of Christ, do it someplace else besides a public school. Nothing PC about that in the least.

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

As a Chosen One, I understand this is the Christmas Season and Merry Christmas is the appropriate term. There's a difference between a culture that considers tolerance and diversity a virtue, and a culture that seeks to deconstruct itself so as to not offend anyone. We used to be the former.

7. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

'cause nothing says 'i love tolerance' by saying 'i don't give a fuck who i offend'

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

And Jingle Bells has exactly what to do with the birth of Christ?

9. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

For some people it goes a little further than that. For them it's "I hope I've offended someone. If you don't pray to the same God I do, find another country."
    Some people have some nerve calling themselves Christians.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Offend? Are you serious?

A kid singing Jingle Bells is "offensive" to someone who doesn't celebrate Xmas?

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, because "Frosty the Snowman" is all about hating non-Christians...

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Watch that South Park link above.

Draft saved Draft deleted