1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

thread locks

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jason_whitlock, May 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andykent

andykent Member

Frank,

You took the word right out of my mouth. If that's not an appropriate place to end this thread, I don't know what is. Although in the interests of fairness I do believe Jason deserves a chance to answer.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

J-Dub, I deleted the comment that originally led to this response, but suffice it to say that I believe you're nothing more than collateral damage --- sadly, kind of like a lot of people around here.

Why do threads get locked? Because they descend into hateslinging mudfests with no interference from the moderators or the administrator until it's too late and everyone else, especially the innocent bystanders, are too disgusted to give a shit anymore.

(Kind of like the current midpoint of this thread, now that I think about it.)

3. jaredk

jaredk Member

Beautiful sermon beautifully pitched.
    But too generous by half.
    And his audience is tone deaf.

4. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Even if I didn't agree with jgmacg, and I do, some of the writing talent on this board blows me away at times.

5. Sportsbruh

Sportsbruh Member

That was nice!

applauding!!!!!

Unfortunately, Jason met his harshest critics EVER! A Campus full of Blackmen and women - and they REJECTED him. We are talking about college educated journalist students that were uniformally against Jason.

You can't get any lower than that. (when your own people rejects you).

Ask Oprah, she said it when she received her Doctorate at Howard.

"There is not higher honor than coming from YOUR own"

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Terrible haiku.

7. Jones

Jones Active Member

jgmacg is the stone-cold nuts.

8. jaredk

jaredk Member

Bad haiku? Who knew?
    Hard enough it is in prose
    To spell J-Dub's woes

9. [​IMG]

10. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

.... and it worked beautifully, too.

Jason, what is your middle name (I'm too lazy to look it up; I'm sure it's on the net somewhere). If it's not Narcissus, I'll be shocked.

11. Gotta respect a big-time columnist who will come on here and debate issues and use his real name.

that's all i'm saying.

12. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Uh, Jason: I was "working my corners" today. I'm sure you can understand that, since it's what you claim to do from time-to-time.

Even if I can't properly respond, I do feel it's important to acknowledge posts or PMs about my moderating as quickly as possible. I take this responsibility quite seriously. Therefore, my delayed answer is not because I need "time to think up something," but to make sure I put enough thought into my rationale.

Judging by some of your columns, I can see how this method of thinking may confuse you. But it's the way I approach things.

Quite simply, threads get locked when too many posts have to be deleted. It's not entirely your fault, but the two I've locked were shut down because too many stupid personal attacks were made. There have been occasions where I've asked certain posters to take a time out (as Chris L, Fenian Bastard and jr did on the PBS thread when asked). There have been occasions where I asked people to knock it off by PM (I won't name names because PMs are supposed to be confidential). There have been occasions where I just erased things and explained myself by PM when requested (this happened a couple of times on the Mike Penner/Christine Daniels thread).

In all of those cases, things cooled down and the threads could continue. In your two cases, things didn't stop. (Again, you weren't the sole reason, some of your opponents were worse.) It's a shame in the most recent one, because I really enjoyed the discussion about property taxes and education. However, it got to a point where people were prolonging the thread simply to rip one another.

That's when it's enough.

Of course, people can always start a new thread if they choose. I'm sure you will be starting another one about yourself soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.