1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

thread locks

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jason_whitlock, May 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Take your prescribed dose of Lithium then come back.

Please......

2. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Sorry I didn't notice this earlier...But a little busy. There is nothing personal here, Jason. I didn't even realize my two locked threads were about you until you mentioned it.

I will post a more detailed reply later, but I have work to do now.

3. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

They must be awfully difficult to keep clean, what with all the sea water and ganja smoke, and....

oh, I thought this was about DREADlocks.

Never mind.

4. yeah, get back to me when you think up something... dude, it's a one-sentence answer. i don't need a long-winded explanation or details.

bottom line, when this place was broke, i dropped $300 on webby because i like to read people pick apart my theories. i enjoy reading the people who seem to have personal problems with me, such as FB and jgmac and others. occasionally they say stuff that gets me thinking, especially when they're able to fight their pettiness..

5. Sportsbruh

Sportsbruh Member

TRANSLATION!!!!

I steal their material for my columns.

6. Fighting our pettiness?
    (That's me on the far right, by the way. My hair was darker then.)

[​IMG]

7. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

What a coincidence, that's me in the middle. My gender was more female back then.

I also always wodered how threads could get locked.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Just a guess, no scientific study involved, but I bet the threads involved more than just you.

9. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

I can't wait until the thread about threads getting locked gets locked.

10. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

JW -

Just so you know, I have no personal problem with you at all. I've never met you, and, in fact, had never read your work before stumbling across this place 18 months ago. I can't speak for F_B, because he's busy bathing in the soothing waters of the Hooterville railroad tank with his sisters, but I suspect he doesn't have any personal problems with you either. There are plenty of folks here who do seem to have trouble with you - but believe it or not, I'm on your side.

I challenge your work here occasionally because I think the issues you've taken up, especially in the last few months, are too important to argue poorly or cheaply or incompletely.

The racial divide in this country has been the central failure of American society since the founding of the Republic. That the pain and ignorance and evil of our differences persist nearly unabated is this nation's greatest shame. And my personal experience of this battle for racial equality and betterment, beginning as a kid in the 1960s, is central to the ideas I hold dear and the man I've become.

As I say that, however, I understand that those experiences - and my authority on the matter, moral, practical or literary - are of immeasurably less value in the public debate over racial discord and public improvement than your own. No matter how much I may wish to, I can't necessarily write about the issue with anything rivalling your impact. I know this.

So now we arrive at the moment when you've worked hard enough and have been lucky enough to find yourself, for however long, in the national spotlight.

My hope in challenging your ideas here is merely that your ideas be the better for it. That they be sounder and more compelling. That they do more good for more people in more places. That they be whole and seamless and irrefutable.

You have a rare platform from which to make yourself heard, Jason, and people from coast to coast are now listening. Can either of us do any less than our best to make sure that the message you send is worth hearing?

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Lori Saunders was THE babe on the show...

12. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Wow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.