1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thrashers headed to Winnipeg

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Johnny Chase, May 31, 2011.

1. So the question begs to be asked - are the Isles next on the relocation list or even a candidate for contraction?

2. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

Yep, the Islanders are a long way away from the days of Trottier, Tonelli, Nystrom, Gillies, Potvin, Chico Resch and Bad Billy Smith. They've got Tavares and ... did I mention they have Tavares?
    It's moribund franchise playing in an antiquated barn.
    The Thrashers were a moribund franchise playing in a freaking palace. Philips Arena is just gorgeous inside.
    People will turn out to see a winner or even a team that might have a shot at winning. But when they keep getting burned by management's unfulfilled promises, either through out and out deceit or just neglect, they get turned off.

3. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

Well I'm glad this at least happened entirely above the table. Whatever happens in Phoenix, there's no escaping it was started by an illegal bankruptcy that disrupted an impending sale everyone had already agreed to.

Atlanta's not a great sports town, but the Thrashers were also a terrible franchise. If they played in Canada (or, say, Boston or Chicago) and had attendance like they did, people would simply say the fans were rightfully rebelling against sub-par play and terrible ownership. The demonstrated support for this team was very similar to teams in "hockey markets" that went through long stretches of terrible play and ownership.

I'm skeptical of Winnipeg's potential as a market. It failed before because it was simply too small. The Jets average attendance was on par with what the Thrashers announced this year, and there are nowhere near as many potential high-dollar sponsors in town to make up for the fact that it's a small arena. The highest average announced attendance the Jets had in their final six years was 13,550.

But the owners are willing to pay the price to go there and take the potential money drain the franchise might be. That's their prerogative since they went through all the correct channels to get it done.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I hold nothing against Winnipeg getting a team, although I don't consider it a major league market. I wish it had been the Islanders moving there, instead. New York doesn't need two teams with a third over in New Jersey.

As for Hartford and Quebec, neither has a suitable arena at present. If an arena gets built --- a big if in the current economy --- then those cities could be in play. Ditto for Seattle. Cities that DO currently have suitable arenas: Houston, Kansas City, Portland, Milwaukee.

Winnipeg's current arena was built in 2004. Fairly nice, just a little smaller than the NHL would prefer. Then again, given the population base, might be just right. The bigger issue may turn out to be corporate support. They'll be fine for the first few years, being the new guy in town and the only major pro sport in the region. But if the team doesn't win after, say, 5-6 years, who knows?

5. Not contraction, but maybe they move to Hartford if they can't get a new building.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

The biggest differences for Winnipeg v 2.0 are a) the loonie is much stronger than it was then vs. the U.S. dollar; and b) the salary cap.

7. ShiptoShore

ShiptoShore Member

It has a lot to do with the arena, but more to do with the incredibly stupid moves of management and ownership (Wang's stubbornness with the new arena plans, DiPietro's unfathomable contract, the repeated trading of very good players to watch them peak with other clubs: see Luongo, Chara, Jokinen, Spezza, Bertuzzi, etc.)

With that said, and believe it or not, the Islanders are team on the rise. In 10-11, they had six players with 44 or more points, including Tavares (67) and free agent gems Grabner (52), a rookie, and Moulson (53). Okposo will be healthy next season, and NYI also has a couple young D guys in Hamonic and MacDonald who should hold spots on the blueline for the next few years. NYI had three 30+ goal scorers.

The low attendance would also have a lot to do with the 20 losses in 21 games, which is downright embarrassing and cause for league intervention. however, the team went 24-21 in their next 45 before tanking the end the season for a draft pick while giving DiPietro some time in net.

Dealings for the new arena are finally in motion, and the team had some sellouts at the end of the season. The 9-3 thrashing of the Pens was also a big morale-booster. I think they'll stay on the island.

As for the Jets, I'm excited about the news. It's cool to see a franchise return.

8. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

This is the second time that Atlanta has lost an NHL franchise now. Forget the year, but the Flames went from Atlanta to Calgary.

Phoenix could be the next team to move (depending how their ownership situation pans out).

The Winnipeg move could also shake up divisions, eventually, with Winnipeg moving to the West and maybe Detroit (or Columbus) to the East.

9. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Can't see them separating Detroit from Chicago, et al, but it likely will be Columbus that eventually gets moved to the Southeast Division in 2012-13 because it's in the Eastern time zone. Nashville is located in the Central time zone, so it'll likely stay put.

10. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Agree, Gutter. Along with the Chicago factor, Detroit does bring in fans whenever they travel to points west.

I only mention Detroit because the NHL has continually promised them a move back to the East.

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Will Winnipeg add more gray to the old portrait of the Queen that hung in the Jets old arena?

12. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I mentioned this on the running NHL thread, but the last Thrasher game I attended was in March (maybe late Feb) against the Flames, so I saw both of Atlanta's departed teams in one shot.

Draft saved Draft deleted