1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

thoughts on writing first book?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rookie23, May 2, 2007.

1. Rookie23

Rookie23 Member

I'm looking to start writing a book. I want it to be semi-autobiographical and I have a ton of ideas. What is the best way to outline your thoughts before you start? Obviously, this will take time to complete, but it would be great to have a solid structure before I start writing. Any comments are appreciated.

2. So we're talking a memoir here or a novel? What does "semi-autobiographical" mean?

3. Rookie23

Rookie23 Member

I guess it would be more of a memoir...I hope this doesn't sound stupid...but what is the difference between a memoir and a novel?

4. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

a novel is generally considered fiction and a memoir is generally a true story involving the writer, unless you are james frey, and then all generalities are off.

5. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

I would spend your time making an outline of each year that you can remember in your life, or important moments. A lot of my poetry comes from outlines that I write after having a bad moment. The more you write about your feelings, the easier the pages will come.

6. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

People serious and talented enough to write a book probably do not come here for advice. Don't take that the wrong way; I'm not saying you're not talented enough to write a book. I just find it odd that you would come here for advice. I'm guessing most wannabe authors have people around them to answer those questions. As usual, I could be way off in my assumption.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

7. torrie_wilson

torrie_wilson Member

I'd be interested to hear some responses on this, too. Let's say you've covered a beat for, like, 15 years and you want to write a memoir type book about your experiences, including lots of interesting things you know that never got into print.

What's your first step? (And second and third, for that matter)

8. I disagree. It's craft, not therapy. This is why most people don't get past the query letter in this genre.

9. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

For anyone with book writing questions - practical or philosophical - we've got a running Authors' Thread on the Writers' Workshop board. Look for it and bump it back up the page. You'll find advice there from a group of experienced book wrestlers. Trust me, they're fantastically happy to take time off from their own deadline miseries to answer your questions.

10. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

It is a craft, but also it is therapy. Frank McCourt wrote a bunch of his books about the death of his mother, so that obviously hurt him. A lot of great war writers wrote books after they came back from the war and the horrors they have seen. Writing is a way to get thoughts out, and many a time, getting out angry or sad thoughts leads to greater works.

11. I guess what I'm saying is that your misery won't carry the day. You have to think about the reader first, yourself second. Otherwise it's JUST therapy.

12. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Find someone who wants to publish it so you can make money from it.

Draft saved Draft deleted