1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thoughts on WaPo redesign?

Discussion in 'Design Discussion' started by forever_town, Oct 28, 2009.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Somewhat unbenownst to me, The Washington Post implemented a few design changes. Some of them have been rather subtle, but they stand out when you're familiar with design principles and terms of design.

Here's my take on the ones I've noticed most closely:

1. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the fact The Post now uses a down style on their hedes. I never quite mastered the up style when I've used it in hedes; the first design change I brought in at my old shop was to do away with an up style in favor of a down style.

2. I'm not sure what to make of the columnist photos being given a "drawn" effect sort of like The Wall Street Journal's portraits. I like the fact that columnist photos are in the paper, but I'd rather see pictures.

3. I like the fact that byline names are bolded. I HATE the fact that "Washington Post Staff Writer" and "Special to The Washington Post" have been removed.

4. The font used for stories seems a little different.

What do you guys think?

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

For those that haven't seen it, I found this guide to the new look online.

http://media.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/nation/documents/redesign_guide_101909.pdf

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I don't mind the style changes, but I think the C1 design has gone to crap in the past year as a whole. Not sure if they've lost a designer or two or what, but way less cool breakouts and interesting centerpieces than they used to have.

Draft saved Draft deleted