1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thoughts on the movie "Babel"?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pringle, Mar 2, 2007.

1. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

I just finished watching it on DVD ... I can't even tell how I feel about it, except I know it was a grueling experience. That's the best way I can explain it.

Part of me thinks it was brilliant. Another part thinks, "There is nothing intrinsically valuable about watching people suffer and be miserable for two and a half straight hours."

I guess there was some hugging and stuff at the end to give us a semblance of a happy ending (in a way. The Moroccan boy died, right?).

Wondering what other movie afficianados may have thought of the film?

2. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

I saw at the dollar movie theatre last week (Yes, I'm cheap) and I liked it a lot more than I thought it would. I heard some people say it was too preachy or artsy, or too something. But I thought it was excellent.

I guess the overall point was how a lack of communication can doom us all? Or something like that.

3. MC Sports Guy

MC Sports Guy Member

I enjoyed it, but don't really understand all the pre-Oscar hype. The stuff with the deaf-mute was a little strange. I heard a lot of comparisons to Crash, which I feel is 100x better. It definitely wasn't one of the five best movies I saw this year.

4. maberger

maberger Member

blatantly manipulative from the get-go

5. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

It was well done, and the main them I got was just how we all jump to assumptions about one another. Very much like Crash that way, and you can criticize it as a knockoff with little argument from me. But in addition to that, it emphasizes some things we take for granted in this country (like immediate access to health care, screwed up as it may be). The biggest hole for me was the border patrol agents on the Mexican border who apparently spoke no Spanish at all. Surely we're better off than that, aren't we?

6. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I hated myself a little more for renting it. Five bucks down the drain.

Draft saved Draft deleted