1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thoughts on the Democrat & Chronicle newspaper

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rookie23, Jan 1, 2007.

1. Rookie23

Rookie23 Member

Recently, I heard about a possible opportunity at the Democrat and Chronicle newspaper in Rochester N.Y. Can anyone give me there thoughts on the paper. I did some research and found out their circulation is about 220,000 and its owned by Gannett. Would I be a fool to pass this up if I'm offered something?

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Need to know more about your circumstances before that can be answered.
    Where are you now?

3. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Speaking in broad generalities, it's a fine paper in a nice town. Others here might have some workplace specifics.

4. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

One thing to consider is that the economy there is not terrific, so if you have a spouse who has a career, it could be tough. Hard times at Eastman Kodak means lots of competition for jobs locally.

5. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Mr. Ridgeway is correct, of course. But that said, it harbors a stronger, more diverse economy than, say, Buffalo, with which it is often confused.

6. Gannett paper, no?
    If so, welcome to hell.

7. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

It is indeed.

8. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

It was the mother ship and corporate HQ until the creation of USA Today.

9. giantjay25

giantjay25 Member

I might be able to offer some info here.

Is this a sports gig or otherwise?

Feel free to PM me for details...

10. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

I'm confused by your post. You have a lot of info about the paper close at hand but you don't know about the potential opening? Is that right?

11. doublej

doublej New Member

I had an internship there in news a few years ago. I got the sense that a lot of reporters there felt they were getting screwed over, common at a Gannett paper. But the paper has a pretty solid reputation.

As for the sports department, from what I remember, they had a beat guy on the Rochester Red Wings, a AAA affiliate of the Twins, and they covered Buffalo Bills training camp. I think the Rochester Rhinos are also covered pretty frequently.

The paper is within walking distance of Dinosaur Barbeque, so if you take the job make sure to get over there as much as you can.

12. giantjay25

giantjay25 Member

My guess is this relates to the Assistant Multimedia Editor position posted on the Gannett website, but seeing as this is a "Sports" journalists.com thread, I wasn't completely sure.

In other news, I used to work there, and stay in touch with people that do now.

And to touch on doublej's comment, the Dinosaur BBQ is an institution. Folks at the D&C order takeout there all the time.

Draft saved Draft deleted