1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thoughts on SJ's search engine

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Lucas Wiseman, Jun 30, 2007.

?

Which do you prefer for the search at the top of every page of this site?

Poll closed Jul 7, 2007.
  1. The new Google search

34.5%
  2. The way it was before

65.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I prefer the old way.
    I at least like the probablility factor, although neither way sorts by most recent. For example, a quick search of "albom" (no reason, just first that came to my mind) brings recent posts of specific posters first. Not a search I would think of first.

2. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

Yeah, normally I love everything Google but not at SportsJournalists.com :)

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I think the google search doesn't sort as well and I like the old search capabilities of searching on one board and by thread title, so I voted against it.

But now that Webby says we can use the old search, I figure you should just leave it.

4. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I definitely prefer the old way.

5. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

I for one welcome our new Google overlords.

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

The google is omnipresent.

I voted for it to stay.

7. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

I also would like to see the default changed. As for the existence of the Google searching, I'm fine with it. I have a regular Google search built into my browser, but it's a plus to get the Google approach to searches within SportsJournalists.com.

8. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

The regular SportsJournalists.com search seems to find many more results than the Google search

9. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

OK, maybe I'm dumb, but I don't have a search bar at the top of my screen. It's there before I sign in, but it disappears (along with the google ads) when I'm logged on. What setting do I need to change to see the search bar?

10. Lucas Wiseman

Lucas Wiseman Well-Known Member

Not sure what to tell you on that one... the search bar is not connected at all to the Google ads and how they are blocked for SJ Subscribers.

11. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

Let's just go with the "I'm dumb" option.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Webby, I'd like the Google search a lot more if you would change its default setting from "Web" to "SportsJournalists.com."

I have a search bar already in Firefox that's preset to Google; I don't need another one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.