1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thoughts on serendipity?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by GBNF, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Good, but if you want really epic Ebert, check out the thread (I think on the politics board) where he takes Bill O'Reilly to task. Some of his greatest hits posted there.

2. dargan

dargan Active Member

Yeah, I saw that one, too, 'beetus. Great, great stuff.

3. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Ebert is one of those people who was easy to make fun of -- he's the fat guy with the thumbs, har har -- but he's a serious film scholar.

Even rarer, he's a thoroughly reasonable person. In a line of work where people try to make a name for themselves by shitting on everything, he earned a reputation as too soft because he recognizes that even fairly ordinary films have a lot of good work in them. Yet he's not afraid to call crap what it is. I've never read a critic whose opinions more frequently align with mine.

4. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Haven't posted it: Here goes.

My friend Martine suggests I go on PlentyOfFish.com, and I scoff at online dating. She finally convinces me to go on, basically by point out that of all my random hookups and dates from bars, not one has left an impression.
    Next day, I sign up, day after, I get a message from a beautiful girl who passes the preliminary looks test - good smile, good style, good hair.
    We chat/text for a week, take her out on a date, it lasts eight hours, five of which are basically spent cuddling/etc. Great date.
    Next night we're talking, and she mentions a visit to Switzerland as a babysitter for her temple's cantor, who was working there.
    Me: "Oh, why was your cantor in Switzerland?"
    Her: "He's also a world-renowned opera singer."
    Me, trembling: "Um, what's his name?"
    Her: "Ron Li Paz"
    And then my phone dies, as I'm shaking, and frantically trying to get it back on.
    It turns on.
    Me: "Hey. Umm, did you say Ron Li Paz?"
    Her: "Uh....yeah?"
    Me: "Did you go to Valley Outreach Synagogue?"
    Her: "Uh...yeah?"
    Me: "I've gone there for 18 years. My dad is a member. I've missed maybe three high holiday services since I was 5."
    Her: "We've gone since I was 10."
    And that was that. We went to the same temple growing up for 13 years. Never met. Until now. Online.

Our second date was tonight, and went great.

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

As for the thread question, I dunno.

I do know that it's possible to try too hard to Make Love Stay. (Can you tell I have been re-reading "Still Life With Woodpecker"?)

Like in sports, you have to let the game come to you.

6. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

Book it. Soulmates. The SO and I went to our first Springsteen shows three days apart the same year. That was good enough for me. (Kidding, of course). But it's amazing how fate works.

7. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

It certainly is. And I know it's kind of ridiculous to care, but I do.

Draft saved Draft deleted