1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thoughts On Bo Ryan?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BadgerBeer, Apr 20, 2012.

1. CA_journo

CA_journo Member

Hypocrite.

He could take any job that's open on a whim, but then expect loyalty from a student-athlete who is looking for a better situation?

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Well, since I called him an asshole in blue type, that means I was saying he's not an asshole. So, yes, it takes one good guy to know another. Thanks for the compliment. :D

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Prickly, prick or not, there are many things to respect about Bo Ryan and the way he's run the Wisconsin program.

His stance on this transfer issue is not one of them. He is deservedly getting raked over the coals.

4. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Had to cover Wisky when they came to town...and I will attest to Coldcat's assessment as well.

Example: UW just got shutdown and it knocked them down a peg in the B1G race late in the season. Bo comes into the presser...AP intern (a younger kid) is first to ask a question and starts with a fairly innocuous statement to get Ryan to talk. Something like: "Coach, this one has got to hurt a bit..."
    Kid doesn't even get to finish...Bo glares at him, starts tapping his chest, grabbing his arms and saying: "Nothing on me hurts...I don't know what you are talking about...'this has got to hurt.' I feel fine."

I thought Bob Huggins was King Assclown...but the new champ was crowned right there.

5. Intern should have begun with, "Coach, you got beat tonight, so was it your preparation, or your system, or your inability to make the right bench decisions that failed? :D

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

7. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

I think I was at that presser, or that's a line he's used more than once.

8. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Writing as an alum and one that nearly walked-on there "once upon a time".

Ryan embarrassed the program with "bitter old man" bit all week. Although, I had a feeling it would drop to a restriction on only Big Ten schools. The charade wasn't worth it all week and now the others will use it as "Ryan is out of touch". Well, he is.

This makes me long for Ryan to move on and for the prodigal son himself, Tony Bennett, to return.

Bo has always been prickly, even back in Division III. He still coaches with a chip on his shoulder from having to coach 15 years in Platteville. You would, too.

9. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

YOU SHUT YOUR GODDAMN MOUTH

My hope is the exact opposite. Let's get a nice rift going between Bennett and the Badgers. Get him to stick around in Charlottesville.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Making players sit a year makes perfect sense. Blocking them from schools does not. And Ryan forcing the player, even though it is the right thing to do, to say it to someone's face at Wisconsin makes him come off as a complete prick.

And the interviews he is doing on Mike and Mike and Mad Dog are making him look even worse.

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

The rules for kids transferring should be exactly the same as the rules for coaches leaving to take another job. If they're going to restrict a kid from transferring within a conference (or within several, as Ryan tried to do) and make him sit out a year, it should apply to the coaches. You want to jump your school for the big money? Fine. You can't go to another school within your league and you have to sit out a year.
    Tired of coaches like Urban Meyer preaching loyalty and then pulling the shit they pull.

12. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Sorry, you won't get your rift.

Tony is loved in the state, particularly by a certain AD and the rest of the UW administration.

Draft saved Draft deleted