1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thoughts On Bo Ryan?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BadgerBeer, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I have really never heard anyone who does NOT consider Ryan a whiny arrogant condescending asshole.

For most of the Wisky fanbase, it's OK because he wins.

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

He climbed the ladder, starting in Division III and he's won everywhere he's been. He doesn't cheat. He limited the schools for a kid who didn't even have the balls to tell him he was transferring in person and instead did it by note. Yup, an asshole of the highest degree.

3. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Old Tony: I guess it takes one to know one.

Anyone who's been around him, watched his teams play, watched him bitch and moan about EVERY whistle ... he's conceited for no reason (never really WON anything). Asshole in my book. But he was that way BEFORE this transfer deal. So there's that.

4. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Somewhere between what you and Tony wrote is the truth. He whines, but so do many coaches. I don't think he's conceited, more grouchy a lot of the time. Also, if you don't think he's ever "really WON anything" you don't really understand what he's done at Wisconsin or really the nature of "winning." I'd venture to argue he's won most things outside reaching a final four. He built a team that is perennially good from very good in a crap-tastic situation, he has lower-division titles and a tidy collection of league titles and Sweet 16s (one Elite Eight), all that seems like something.

But yes, he's being a jerk, his team's play less watchable basketball and he's doing something other coaches do, which is wrong.

5. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

biggest horse's ass in the B1G
    He even comes across as an ass during post-game pressers, which is quite an accomplishment

6. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Another one of the NCAA's ridiculous rules exploited by another arrogant prick of a coach.

They want these kids to be considered as "student athletes," but they're not even allowed to go to college where they want.

7. bigalabama

bigalabama New Member

In general, I don't think it's hypocritical to dislike a rule and then use it. If you refuse to use a rule on principle - just because you don't like it - you're putting yourself at a disadvantage unnecessarily. John Calipari says he doesn't like one-and-dones, but uses them extensively because the rules allow it. That doesn't make him a hypocrite.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

They can go to the college they want, they just can't get it paid for, and/or they're not allowed to participate in the extracurricular activity they want.

9. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Right--I just meant if they want to play, they can't transfer where they want, and at any rate, they might have to sit out a year...

10. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

That is interesting logic. Two coaches say the rule should be changed, that a player who has his degree should not be allowed to transfer and play immediately, that it's not right. Yet they opt to sign such a player and they're not hypocritical?

Honorable then?

Substitute extramarital affair for signing such players and get back to me.

If you think the rule is wrong, should be changed and coaches shouldn't sign such kids then don't sign one for your team. If you do sign one, STFU.

11. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

I know people don't like Tony (or Ryan) but the coach has played a significant role in changing the culture in that program. Compare their NCAA history up through the 2000 Final Four to what it has been like under Ryan and it's pretty impressive.

I think people can't or won't agree because they don't like the guy. He is a pain in the posterior but he does run a clean program and he can coach.

12. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Coming from a fan of the school that, most likely, Ryan was thinking of when he added the monster list of schools onto the ban...fuck him. :)

In all seriousness, I had no problem with him until this happened and really don't now. I've always had a soft spot for teams that win ugly, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted