1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thoughts on Anvil

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JayFarrar, May 22, 2009.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I have the opportunity to see Canadian rock band Anvil in the next couple of weeks.
    Should I?
    Do they rock?
    I'm mostly just curious. I saw a trailer for their new movie, and now one of the local art house theaters is going to show the movie and then they are going to perform. I think it is part of some local film festival, but I'm not sure.

2. Petrie

Petrie Guest

[​IMG]

I thought this thread might be about him...shows what I know.

3. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

My honest thoughts, Jay, are that if you are ever given a chance/tickets to go see a live band/performance, then by all means go. No matter if it is your normal genre of music or not. A new experience is to never be passed up.

4. KG

KG Active Member

I really love music, so I like going to any show when I get the chance.

5. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Saw the movie and it was just O.K. Nothing like the reviews are saying. The problem with the band IMO is they think they are owed something because a few stalwarts of metal said something good about them in 1984. Some of their early stuff is all right (Metal on Metal is the best song of the lot), but it's a band that never really progressed at all. Lips, the lead singer/guitar player, and drummer Rob Reiner are both good down-to-earth people, but they're too good for rock 'n' roll.

Don't pay any more than $10 to see them.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

I watch the Classic 27 hours a day (no shit! really?) so I've been bludgeoned over the head with the Anvil promotions. On one hand, the movie looks really good, b/c I think the theme is universal. How many people have had the talent and the drive to succeed, but just never got the break they needed?

On the other...fuck, stop telling me how influential these guys are. They had a hiccup in 1984 and that's it. I've never been a thrash metal fan, but I read everything I could get my hands on about the hard rock genre--from Poison to Venom and everything in between--and I never heard or read word fuckin one about these guys until a couple months ago. I get tired of seeing poseurs like the dude from Sugar Ray telling me that "Metal on Metal" is the best record Metallica never made. Shut the fuck up and sing "I just wanna fly."

Plus, as Don Florentine from "That Metal Show" says: If these guys influenced you that much, take them out on the road with you. Rescue them from 12-seat clubs. That means you, Metallica and Motorhead and even you, Sugar fuckin Ray.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

8. greenlantern

greenlantern Guest

Beat me to it.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Sugar Ray never made a good record. I'll be fucked if I listen to that asshole tell me about the best record Metallica never made. What would he know about quality?

I don't even know if Anvil was Canada's best metal band. Give me Helix or the Killer Dwarfs.

10. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Anvil did indeed get the breaks they needed. They were on Megaforce Records. They toured with Bon Jovi, Scorpions..etc. They had the opportunity to make 13 albums for labels.

I mean, how many thousands of bands would give life over limb to be in that same situation?

Ever since I saw the movie two weeks ago, I have been trying to get a feel for why everyone thinks they're so great. I honestly think it has more to do with the band's character than the music. I've listened to several albums and it's all shit. Silly, goofy shit, but still shit. They're lucky some people still show up to see them play.

Draft saved Draft deleted