1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thoughts for longtime member (Just a SID)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, Oct 12, 2008.

1. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

JASID, having lost my mother four years ago to a stroke I know the pain of this kind of loss. My deepest sympathy to you and yours.

2. Flash

Flash Guest

Candles lit, SID.

3. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

My sympathies to you, SID.

4. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear, J_A_SID.

5. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Prayers are heading your way.

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I'm very sorry to hear this.

I know first hand fighting cancer is a bitch.

Just_an_SID is one of the good ones. He and his family will be in my thoughts.

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Ugh. Keep Pounding, folks.

Just_An_SID, know that you are in our thoughts. Good karma alone for the "Say Something Nice" thread should be heading your way, and he was one of the good ones long before the start of that thought train.

Take care ...

8. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Condolenses SID. Cancer is indeed a cruel bitch.

9. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

Thanks to everybody on the board. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Mom passed peacefully earlier last evening, surrounded by her eight children and some of her 20 grandchildren. It was a very powerful moment.

The only downside today was that two of my nieces couldn't be present because they are in Chicago, the one ran in the Chicago Marathon to raise money for breast cancer awareness in my mom's name. The other, her sister, was there for support and she is carrying what would be my mom's first great-grandchild, who is due in January.

My mom taught me most of my important lessons, the last coming in a folder of birthday cards, press clippings, personal notes, etc. that she collected over the years.

In the middle of all of this, was an article from a Piedmont Airlines magazine in 1988 entitled, "Why Me." The gist of the story was that when things go wrong, you always hear people say, "Why Me", but when things go right, nobody every asks that question.

Through the almost two years that she fought this nasty disease -- chemotherapy, radiation, surgery, pills -- I never heard her say "Why Me" but I did see her smile and fight her way through it. I have however on occasion heard her ask that question when talking about how lucky she was in her life.

That clipping has put this weekend into perspective.

So do me a favor. . . after you are finished reading this, cal your mom and tell her that you love her. Then do something nice for her that she isn't expecting. . . take her to lunch, buy her something she'll like or one of my mom's favorites, stop by unexpectedly and spend some time and make them smile.

I appreciate all of your thoughts but will appreciate it even more if you do that one little favor for me.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

That's a great post.

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I also lost my mom to cancer when I was 12. I can't call her in the sense you meant, but I "talk" to her in my own way all of the time.

It's never too late to tell your mom that you love her.

Again, I'm sorry for your loss, SID.

12. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Sorry for your loss, JASID.

Spoke to my mother a little bit ago and did what you asked.

Hang tough.

Draft saved Draft deleted