1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thoughts and Prayers: The Religion Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Slacker, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Buddhism is popular among the rich and celebrity in America for this reason. It reduces any of their bad actions to technique and inherently controllable choices.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

That's true as far as it goes. It's pretty popular with non-celebrities and upper middle class suburbanites who want to crib peaceful Zen indifference without any of the rigor.

So Westerners leave out the effortful stuff. Nobody is hitting them with a stick if they fall asleep while "meditating."

This is now referred to by most major retailers as 'mindfulness.'

But the real struggle with Buddhist practice in America is that all suffering is attributable to wanting - and our entire economy is based upon wanting.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
    OscarMadison likes this.
  3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

As a species, our ingenuity always gets out front of our philosophy.

Always.

OscarMadison likes this.
  4. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Edward Larson made a career out of asking how science and Protestant Christianity work in America. "Summer For The Gods" is a good read and an eye-opener for anyone who bought the hype about The Scopes Trial.

FWIW, the UMC was one of the denominations that was making an effort to foster a love of learning before the mess in Rhea County, TN.

edited to add: @Alma, well yes and no.
    @Azrael, if we demanded rigor based on sacred texts and wisdom, America would be a very different place.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The modern era wasn't really about ingenuity, even if it leveraged ingenuity. It was the fusion of the industrial and enlightenment ages going to its logical, deadly terminus. We damn near annihilated ourselves more than once trying to perfect the world and mankind.

Postmodernism is absurd for any number of reasons, but its general rejection of a uniform truth at least backed us down from total war. My fear is we're inching back to an embrace of scientific modernism, again, with the climate change strike cults. The cheap moralism of that scientific movement just might spawn a real lunatic leader who plays out evolution to the conclusion of selective extermination and mass infertility to "save the planet." Just as analytics has helped render baseball more and more artless, science, I fear, will produce of a bottom line of a meager existence in service of "survival of species."

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

That's a struggle for Christians as well - coveting thy neighbor's wife and/or possessions.

OscarMadison likes this.
  7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Interesting observation. I am not a suburbanite, but I fit into the category you are describing.

I don't think my focus on mindfulness, or being in the moment, is a matter of laziness or a lack of rigor. Being in the moment is actually a huge struggle for me, and something I really have to work at.

I have read quite a bit about buddhism, and the reason I don't give up all my possessions and go live in a monastery is that that broader focus on finding enlightenment or relieving suffering was not what I was searching for. I was in the market for practical stress and anxiety reduction techniques, and that is what I got led to. Once I dipped my toe in, sure, I was interested in the broader practice and what is behind it, and I find a lot of wisdom there. But I certainly didn't want to turn it into something doctrinaire that was going to rule my life. To my way of thinking, if you treat it that way, it might as well be christianity or judaism or islam.

Inky_Wretch and OscarMadison like this.
  8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It’s not my impression your take - the predominant Western take - bothers hard core Buddhists much.

9. The Big Ragu

Of course not.

This is the simplistic version, but the Buddha's aim when he was alive was simply to dispel suffering. He wasn't trying to establish a set of customs or beliefs, even if those did arise around buddhism over the following centuries.

But at its core, buddhism isn't that complicated, even if the practice of it is extemely difficult. Existence is suffering, the cause of that suffering is craving and attachment, nirvana can end that suffering. ... and here is the path to nirvana.

People call it a religion, but it's not the way people think of religions today. Religions are about a diety, and then follow into, "Do this because the diety says to do it. Otherwise, you have sinned."

Buddhism is about your relationship to everything around you and a process for finding inner peace as you navigate your way through your life.

Inky_Wretch and OscarMadison like this.
  10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

So is Scientology.

11. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Arew you suggesting this is cafeteria Buddhism?

12. The Big Ragu

Indeed.

I am not an expert on Scientology, and I have no desire to be. Most of what I know comes from the HBO documentary.

But I know that Hubbard took a lot from Eastern religions, before adding in Xenu, the evil ruler of the galaxy 75 million years ago.

Buddhism teaches that attachment to worldly goods is a trap and that enlightenment comes from within.

The goal of Scientology's auditing as the cult exists today seems to be to encourage people to accumulate wealth and power to hand over to the church.

You can practice buddhism by sitting under a tree.

You can't practice scientology without becoming a part of an organization.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
Draft saved Draft deleted