1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thoughts and Prayers: The Religion Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Slacker, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Our church has started running Facebook Live for services. It's not as good as being there, but it helps. But, as a bonus, one of my buddies who is a Methodist preacher on the other side of the state started doing the same - so now I can watch my home church and his.

Neutral Corner and OscarMadison like this.
  2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Can we agree that the so far prayers have failed to save people since over 1100 are dead?

3. heyabbott

One of the greatest hits

Isaiah 13:9-18 King James Version (KJV)
    9 Behold, the day of the Lord cometh, cruel both with wrath and fierce anger, to lay the land desolate: and he shall destroy the sinners thereof out of it.

10 For the stars of heaven and the constellations thereof shall not give their light: the sun shall be darkened in his going forth, and the moon shall not cause her light to shine.

11 And I will punish the world for their evil, and the wicked for their iniquity; and I will cause the arrogancy of the proud to cease, and will lay low the haughtiness of the terrible.

12 I will make a man more precious than fine gold; even a man than the golden wedge of Ophir.

13 Therefore I will shake the heavens, and the earth shall remove out of her place, in the wrath of the Lord of hosts, and in the day of his fierce anger.

14 And it shall be as the chased roe, and as a sheep that no man taketh up: they shall every man turn to his own people, and flee every one into his own land.

15 Every one that is found shall be thrust through; and every one that is joined unto them shall fall by the sword.

16 Their children also shall be dashed to pieces before their eyes; their houses shall be spoiled, and their wives ravished.

17 Behold, I will stir up the Medes against them, which shall not regard silver; and as for gold, they shall not delight in it.

18 Their bows also shall dash the young men to pieces; and they shall have no pity on the fruit of the womb; their eyes shall not spare children

maumann likes this.
  4. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

Just my uninformed opinion/question.

Since we are getting into nicer weather, can they hold services outside? Everyone bring a chair, those folding camper/sports types that many have, or a blanket.
    Might they start doing that?

OscarMadison likes this.
  5. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    /approves

6. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Even 'reasonable' evangelicals seem to be viewing this as a biblical event. That's why there's so little urgency- the virus is seen as God's will.

7. heyabbott

Reasonable evangelicals sounds like compassionate terrorists.

8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

National Cathedral’s weekly (Episcopal) Eucharist is live on youtube. I recommend it highly.

OscarMadison and Neutral Corner like this.
  9. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Serious question: When they get to the part where they normally pass the offering plate, do they place a message with a giving link?

10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I bet Joel Osteen has it in a continual crawl at the bottom of the screen.

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

That period, the offertory, is when the celebrant is preparing the altar (in Episcopal services ... I don’t know about others). Today while that was going on the dean of the cathedral, who also gave the sermon, encouraged people to support their home church but mentioned a link for the cathedral. That link was also provided at the end of the service.

Even if you’re not inclined toward that kind of a service spiritually, I still encourage you to check out the youtube replay just so you can hear the soloist do her thing. What a singer!

12. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

How was it provided at the end of the service? Verbally or with a physical link?
    As a stats nerd, I'd love to know if, for example, they didn't have the link one week but installed it the next. And then, what were the results in both weeks?

Draft saved Draft deleted