1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thoughts and Prayers: The Religion Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Slacker, Oct 15, 2019.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I think faith is genuinely a positive influence in the lives of many people. Perhaps it helps good people to become better, but I'm not sure if it saves bad people from being bad.

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Inky_Wretch and OscarMadison like this.
  3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Still doing confessions out here- what makes them funs is you have to shout them across church.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

FORGIVE ME FATHER FOR I HAVE SINNED !

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Can you take the Yale Divinity School course about the inherrently violent nature of Islam, for free?

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

ACTUALLY

there's a free online course at Harvard:

Islam Through Its Scriptures

I'm already enrolled.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You're a better man than I am. I will never criticize someone for trying to learn something new. So to each his own. Just doesn't interest me. With the free time I have, I'd just as soon sign up for an online phrenology course.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I'm not sure this one includes phrenology, but an apt, important history of medicine course, free, online, from Yale.

Epidemics in Western Society Since 1600 | Open Yale Courses

Neutral Corner likes this.
  10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

nah

just bored and quarantined

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Had a pretty cool moment today - figured I'd swing by the local church around noon for the International Lord's Prayer recitation. Masses are closed to the public, but churches are still open. And as I was sitting in the pew some nuns came in and started doing the rosary so I joined in. (Though it kind of felt like I was intruding on their work). After that was done a few minutes passed and when noon struck I stood and did the Lord's Prayer and was getting ready to leave but one of the nun's started playing the harp and the deacon and the priest started coming down the aisle in full vestments. It was daily mass. I figured I'd stay. There were the three nuns, the two readers, me and two others in the church - even smaller than a family mass a relative of mine once performed at my Grandma's house. The whole thing was pretty cool. It was the Feast of the Annunciation (when Mary found out she was going to have Jesus) and the priest even gave me a shout out during the homily by name and they did communion and everything. The ban on public masses is still in effect, they locked the doors before the mass - but it was one of those things I figure I'll remember for a long time.
    The toughest part of this "lockdown" has been not being able to "share" our concerns with other people in person. Being together makes these things bearable. I don't know where we'd be at right now with the Internet, but I still enjoy the real thing.
    I guess my wish for all of us, is whether you consider yourself religious or not, or whatever - that you are finding something - maybe rediscovering something - a faith, getting reacquainted with an old friend, a book, a TV show, a hobby, volunteering - that provides you comfort during this uncertain time.

OscarMadison and Inky_Wretch like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted