1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thoughts and Prayers: The Religion Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Slacker, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Osteen turns Jesus into a life coach.

Which is exactly where lots of Americans want him.

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Whenever I am flipping channels on the weekend and I come to him, I stop and watch. He fascinates me. My fascination with him fascinates Ms. Ragu.

I am kind of half laughing at him and the sheeples in that basketball-arena-church eating up his plastic-surgery-mug-act. But the other half of me falls into a trance, and I am ready to turn off the TV and run through a wall to take the field of life. I've been tempted (not really) to send money for his Learjet maintenance fund more than once.

Then, he finishes his folksy, humerous anecdote and invites me to get born again with an oath of mumbo jumbo, and I snap back to reality. Until I come across him again the next time, forget my last experience, and the hair hypnotizes me back into watching all over again.

Liut likes this.
  3. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

The prosperity gospel is great — for those preaching it.

OscarMadison likes this.
  4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Wondering this morning if grace and satori and kavvanah and mokshi and ihsan all describe the same state of human perfectibility.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Christian Insecurity: The Problem of the Second Coming

Been thinking about this a bit. Like the Old Testament promising a prophet, the New Testament delivered the prophet and also promised his return "some day." While countless figures have predicted when this would happen, and failed - I'm kind of of the mind that it is more important that there is a "to be continued..." as part of the Biblical story (just as there was with the OT). It's kind of like when when a tough guy threatens someone with an "OK, I know your name, and I know where you live - you call the cops I'm coming for you." It's a threat, but it is the uncertainty of the threat that keeps the person in line. I'd like to think people would still "be good" with or without a promise of a Second Coming, but then again - the OT pre-dates the NT by as much as 1200 years. We're now 2ooo plus AD - almost seems like it's time for a third testament. Unless Joseph Smith was right.

maumann and OscarMadison like this.
  9. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

The Book of Mormon is some trippy sci-fi.

There should have been some tough love at the Council of Nicaea. Just sayin'

maumann likes this.
  10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

The Second coming was imminent, 1900 years ago.
    It’s all fiction. A sentient deity doesn’t exist. And didn’t come to live with humans in human form in the guise of a Jewish son of a Jewish couple in Roman occupied Israel.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

There's no reason for somebody who hates baseball to weigh in on the MLB thread. NBA haters don't need to post on that thread. And somebody who hates religion can leave this one alone. There's no need to troll.

12. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

Maybe, but, as you know, the prophet Mormon abridged the history after his army was wiped out in the final battle.

It always warmed my heart knowing that you can lead 239,976 people to their well deserved deaths, but if you have copy editing skills, you can have a religion named for you.

And this is why I never was invited to teach Sunday School when I lived in the Salt Lake City area. I kinda see why.

OscarMadison likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted