1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thoughts and Prayers: The Religion Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Slacker, Oct 15, 2019.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I believe they would say it is not any human's place to make that judgement, that only G-d can truly judge people like them.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Yes, many Christians say they are spreading false messages. They are not uncontradicted. The prosperity gospel is reviled by everybody but folks preaching it.

Take, for example, the controversy swirling around John MacArthur's comments about Beth Moore. He said this popular evangelist should "Go home" because women shouldn't be allowed to preach. The backlash from many other evangelists and mainline Protestants has been swift and severe.

OscarMadison likes this.
  3. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

4. Inky_Wretch

OscarMadison likes this.
  5. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Oh, brother...

Impose by force? Change the channel.

Ruined their lives? Like I said, oh, brother...

Franklin Graham and Jim Bakker, prophets? That's according to you, not them.

The means of delivering the message? What would you know, given that you make it sound, simultaneously, like you listen to it all the time, which you actually must not if you hate it as vehemently as you sound like, and wouldn't be caught dead doing it?

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Certainly plenty of history in which Christianity is delivered at the end of a sword.

Not sure he's linking that with Graham or Bakker.

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. Inky_Wretch

Big news in in the gospel music world.

OscarMadison likes this.
  9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Worth asking if Christianity and Capitalism are compatible as well.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Christianity is counter-cultural enough that its worldview would be incompatible with the world at large on many fronts, including economic.

Christians coupling with capitalism hit its peak in the 90s and 2000s with the prosperity gospel. We're already moving away from that and toward something else. My sense is that it'll be the kinds of doctrinal debates and moral issues dealt with in Corinth and Ephesus.

Christianity is not obviously not scripturally compatible with abortion, for example. It doesn't stop American Christians from believing whatever they like on that matter because of individualism.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

To the extent I know all their work, I'd say quite of a bit of it is false teaching, yeah. As to hell...that's between them and God.

I couldn't reject the prosperity gospel more. I dunno that Joel Osteen is going to hell for it.

Draft saved Draft deleted