1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thoughts and Prayers: The Religion Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Slacker, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

To restate: It's a little like saying no states are serious about deterring gun crime because none of them have passed a bill outlawing all gun ownership. You can't just do that. It's not constitutional.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

They don’t do that. So it’s not Like saying that. You see right wingers intentionally flaunting the constitution. When was the last time a state legislature tried to ban the possession of firearms ?

SFIND likes this.
  3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Well, none have. It's unconstitutional.

But you wrote that, because a state has not passed a law charging a mother or doctor with 1st-degree murder for an abortion, it is not serious about deterring "murder," in this case, what some call abortion.

And I'm saying such a blanket law would be unconstitutional, so, of course, the absent of such a law has little bearing on the seriousness of a state, much like the presence of the 2nd Amendment makes it impossible to ban all gun ownership, and thus does not inform the seriousness of a state.

You're using the absence of an unconstitutional law as proof a state isn't serious about abortion. If they were serious, they'd pass a law that's unconstitutional. It makes no sense.

4. heyabbott

Cant tell if You’re iintentionally passive aggressive or just obtuse.

5. heyabbott

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

What kind of apple was it?

OscarMadison likes this.
  7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

No, it wouldn't be constitutional to charge doctor and mother with murder now because abortion is still legal. I think. The really telling thing is that Trumpists claim abortion is murder is one breath but have consistently said that mothers should not be charged with murder even when abortion is rendered illegal by Amy Covid Barrett, Beer Bong Brett and the rest of that klan.

8. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Tart

9. heyabbott

Wife’s been in the hospital for the past 2 nights. And she doesn’t understand why this is happening to her. Wont bore you with medical details. But since this a religious post can someone who believes in a loving God answer her question. Why does God hate me?

10. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, @heyabbot. Probably not the right person to answer this. I am not sure God loves or hates anyone.

A writer who uses the myths and folk tales of the world as the spine of his work gave a seminar a while back. Someone asked how he could write sympathetically about figures like Lucifer and Kali and create creatures who were destructive, if not outright evil in such a way that we felt like we were getting to know and understand if not exactly like them. He said he removed the Judeo-Christian moral compass he'd grown up with and accepted that this was the way of the natural world. Things simply are what they are. We don't expect large predators or tornados to suddenly gain self-awareness and refrain from killing smaller animals or destroying buildings. They do those things because that's what they are.

Someone asked him if his best-known work brought him to that conclusion. He said he'd had that idea for a long time. The Moors Murders happened when he was a small child. For years, they were still a cultural touchstone for many to describe unfeeling, unthinking evil that seemed to be fueled by something bigger and beyond mere human failing. The world, nature is not ruled by any moral force. It simply is. We are shaped by how we respond to what happens to us.

Why do people like Donald Trump and Marjorie Greene and Alex Jones seem to incur no consequences for the pain they inflict on others? Why do good people like your wife suffer? Sometimes I think that writer is on to something.

11. heyabbott

I agree that we are what we are. Man can either live together and create civilization or we can resort to anarchy. But there’s no God driving anything. The God of Christianity or any religion that believes in An interventionist God with a plan and intent, is a superstitious belief for scared and irrational people. Faith is an unproven and unprovable idea that is harmful. I’m not thrilled if you harm yourself but faith hurts others.

God, to me, is a bad synonym for the sum total of the laws of nature, physics, mathematics, chemistry ... not sentient.
    also possible that God is to humans as humans are to plankton. We know plankton existists, and we believe it to be just food for other creatures. We have never stopped to consider that they might be a community with needs. God doesn’t care about you or a sick child or the sex slaves of Niger anymore than You care about plankton

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
  12. heyabbott

B4D9DEA7-7BCF-463B-AC8B-85E6A78843D0.jpeg
    this is succinct but honest

Draft saved Draft deleted