1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thoughts and Prayers: The Religion Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Slacker, Oct 15, 2019.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Why would anyone accept the religious extremist and oppressive view that abortion is baby murder? It’s a loaded answer. Just because some murderous religion that endorsed slavery, torture and religious wars say it is murder doesn’t make it so. Some Abrahamic religions may follow Genesis and life begins with breath. Also, some those religions that endorse the concept that abortion is murder, have also justified slavery and hide sexual predators, their opinions on morality are inconsequential and irrelevant.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The largest problem with this post is that it is built on the two massive lies told by the anti-choice movement.

One lie is the false claim that everyone on the other side is in favor of abortion. It simply isn't true. Pro-choice is exactly that. We are in favor of a woman's right to choose what she does with her own body. That's it. That doesn't mean we think it is the right choice. It means that it is not our decision. It is the decision of the woman carrying the baby.

The other lie is that y'all actually believe abortion is murder. Are you telling me that millions of Americans believe babies are being murdered, they know exactly where it is happening, and the most they will do is maybe pick up a picket sign? If you believe even one baby is being murdered, you should be doing a hell of a lot more than that.

SFIND likes this.
  3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Like what?

4. outofplace

You tell me. I'm not the one who claims that a baby is being murdered.

I honestly can't wrap my head around it. I cannot imagine living in a society in which babies are murdered. Neither can most of the idiots who claim that abortion is murder, because they don't really believe it. Unless they were the worst sort of cowards, they would be doing more to stop it.

SFIND likes this.
  5. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Oh my god. You and your "lies" that you're always referencing. It's why there can be no discussion.

Yes, that's exactly what we're telling you. And you can't wrap your head around it because you don't, or rather, don't want to, believe it. Why don't you stop telling everyone what they really believe?

Everyone knows it, oop. They're just OK with abortion if it aligns with what they want/need. And yes, I absolutely believe that even a conservative Republican who was heretofore supposedly completely against abortion (or "choice") could, and even would, have an abortion if it suited them better than having a baby that they don't want, or, perhaps, that they find out at some point will turn out to be less than healthy or normal.

And my point is, any previously-, even staunchly-held intellectual or political stance will likely mean nothing -- for either side of the argument -- when a person is actually faced with the decision, and not just simply thinking about it.

6. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

It really is the problem with that individual. It is the bouillon cube.

7. outofplace

You really shouldn't use the lord's name in vain like that.

Silly me. I have a problem with people telling lies. If people don't want me pointing out their lies, they shouldn't lie. It really is that simple.

Now you are trying to tell me people believe abortion is murder, but they do it anyway when it suits them? I guess I have more faith in people than you do. Most of those conservative Republicans who are against abortion are Christians. Those Christians would then be abandoning their morals when those morals are no longer convenient.

I'm not telling people what they believe. I just do not believe that many Americans are so weak and cowardly that they would do next to nothing while they thought babies were being murdered. It is rhetoric, a misrepresentation of reality pushed by the anti-choice crowd in their never-ending battle to demonize anyone who dares to disagree with them. You are either being suckered in by it or you are intentionally participating in the lie.

Were you actually trying to claim that everyone knows abortion is murder? No. They do not. Actually, most people know that it isn't.

SFIND likes this.
  8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

9. outofplace

Try quoting the entire post next time. What you did makes it look as if I didn't give any reason why you should be telling us. I can't tell you what I could do because I can't wrap my head around the concept of living in a society in which babies are murdered and it is legal. I have no idea how I would react to that. Neither do you.

Anyway, here is the entire post.

You tell me. I'm not the one who claims that a baby is being murdered.

I honestly can't wrap my head around it. I cannot imagine living in a society in which babies are murdered. Neither can most of the idiots who claim that abortion is murder, because they don't really believe it. Unless they were the worst sort of cowards, they would be doing more to stop it.

SFIND likes this.
  10. heyabbott

The fact that the most anti-abortion state governments have not, after 50 years, made a law charging a mother and doctor with 1st degree murder shows that the right wing is not interested in deterring murder but in controlling when and how vaginas are used

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Such a law would not be constitutional, would it?

It's a little like saying no states are serious about deterring gun crime because none of them have passed a bill outlawing all gun ownership. You can't just do that. It's not constitutional.

12. heyabbott

Wow, right wing Christians extremists actually concerned about following the constitution. Numerous Republican governors and state legislatures have already said they dont care about what the constitution says, they are doing what they want.

SFIND likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted