1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thoughts and Prayers: The Religion Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Slacker, Oct 15, 2019.

1. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Part of being Christian is learning to be discerning, and it is a process, like all growth/evolution. I wouldn't necessarily consider all (or any) of those you mentioned to be particularly Christian, either. But on the other hand, I also don't truly know them, only what we see on TV, or have read or heard, etc., so I wouldn't presume to know everything about them enough to be able to be the judge of them. That means leaving judgment up to God, which is what I tend to do with people I don't actually know personally. Also, everyone is less-than-good/sinful sometimes, and/or about some particular things (areas of difficulty, or, as we call them at Walmart, areas of "opportunity.":)), and we will all have to answer for them at some point if they're not addressed in this life.

Being a good person doesn't mean being perfect. We can't be that, anyway, and thanks to Jesus, we don't have to be. But when we're not, any true Christian (not one who only "professes" that they are such, or who thinks they are because they once "prayed the prayer") will be convicted, and we will come around to being humbled, stopping what we're doing, improving, being better, etc. We will. If not, then yeah, we're not really Christian. Again, if you are, there should be, and there usually is, some indication of that. And in the end, God will see/know it. It's all about the heart, truly and genuinely, and it won't matter what they/we have said, or think about ourselves at that point.

As for any murderer or rapist who becomes a Christian, it's important to realize that you're presenting it as if "I'm going to go kill someone, and then just say I'm a Christian." It's not really that simple. It really is all about the heart, and that conversion, and what happens after that, in God's eyes. The murder isn't excused, per se, but pardoned (there is a difference), thanks to Christ, who takes it on, and takes it from us. This is why the belief in Him is all-important, and is the foundation of any developing, ongoing relationship with God.

2. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

OK.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Oasis was onto that, I think.

OscarMadison likes this.
  4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

It’s one of my favorite stories. A little boy is in heaven and meets Jesus. And Jesus says sorry I couldn’t prevent that man from Killing you and your mother. But why don’ t you go over there and forgive him too.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Do you not see why that idea is dangerous? Do you not see why people might think they can do horrible things, then be forgiven? "Honestly, G-d, I'm just going to murder this one person, then I will be good." I know you don't think it works that way, but they do.

SFIND and heyabbott like this.
  7. outofplace

That's not an answer, but I'm sure it is the best you are capable of giving.

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Did you think heyabbott was out of line?

9. outofplace

I think insulting the intelligence of anyone who has faith is over the line.

10. outofplace

Careful. Somebody at the other place might not like you associating with some folks here. :)

Jerry-atric likes this.
  11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Ah. Because you’ve spent multiple pages lecturing not the person who called people fucktards and scumbags, but the person who dared question whether such a rant was coming from a place of moral decency.

12. outofplace

I never wrote that his post was coming from a place of moral decency. I did write that she was wrong to question if he meant what he said just because she doesn't like it. She was out of line. His posts don't justify hers.

I've told him that he was out of line plenty.

I guess you also don't understand that people can be offensive without being vulgar. Then again, maybe you will post just about anything in defense of someone on your side of a religious debate.

Draft saved Draft deleted