1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thought yall would get a kick out of this

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BCox34, Mar 23, 2010.

1. BCox34

BCox34 New Member

Not sure if this is in the right place, but here goes.

Texas A&M women's basketball coach Gary Blair minored in journalism when he attended Texas Tech way back when.

Gary is always a good interview, largely because you'll probably learn something new every time you talk to him. I once had a two-hour interview with him that started as "How does a baseball player become a basketball coach?" His answer was something along the lines of 70 pounds and the inability to hit the curve.

This evening the Aggies lost to Gonzaga in the second round of the tournament and classic Gary Blair appeared in the post game room:

"Keep reading the newspaper. To hell with the internet, read that damn newspaper. Damn newspaper -- that's the American way -- that's what we should read."

Understand that no direct question actually instigated the answer. That's just Gary. He was talking about his seniors and how one of them will make more money than the journalists do.

He finished up by telling the reporters that he'd buy the first beer in San Antonio if they meet up. ;D

2. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

That is freakin' awesome. My kind of coach.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Free beer? ROAD TRIP!

4. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I'd venture a guess that all of his seniors will make more money than journalists do.

5. BCox34

BCox34 New Member

That was kind of his point.

6. CA_journo

CA_journo Member

Some USC athletes make more than we do now.

7. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Gary Blair = Good guy.

Draft saved Draft deleted