1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thought-provoking interview questions

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Snake Plissken, Apr 17, 2007.

1. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i'd proceed with caution on that one. depending on who you're interviewing there's a good chance the person doesn't give two shits about your life. you think telling peyton manning about the time your fly was open will get him to open up to you?

2. Babs

Babs Member

If I can't tell it's sarcasm, clearly it wasn't snarky enough.

3. chazp

chazp Active Member

They couldn't tell mine was sarcastic either.

4. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Asking a female athlete "real or implants" isn't snarky enough?

5. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Mine's eight inches. You guys got beat something fierce tonight, so I'm guessing yours isn't. Care to clarify?

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

"Talk about...." I have ZERO respect for anyone with a mike or a pen who uses this technique. You are giving away the interview to the subject, who is then given permission to say whatever they choose.
    "What does this game do for your team?" What is the impact? is a good one.
    The icebreaker of sharing something about yourself is mainly used to those uncomfortable being interviewed or it being a new experience. Getting into a conversation is the best way to get good quotes.

7. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

My journalism professors used to say the best questions are "what" questions. Of all the crap they crammed into my head that seems to have stuck with me the most.
    "What does this game do for your team's confidence?" or "What kind of statement does this performance make?" are much better than "Talk about your team today coach..."
    Why questions are good too, but much tougher to answer it seems.

8. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

I know this gets debated about once a month on here, but what is the great difference between "What does this game do for your team's confidence?" and "Talk about what this does for your team's confidence." I just don't see why some look down on others for using the words "talk about." People who look down on this always use to like lame examples like "Talk about your guard." Maybe that's how some interviewers do it, I don't know, but I haven't seen it. I see more along the lines of "Talk about the way your guard got hot in the second half and how that keyed your comeback."

I just think with all the things in the world to get worried about, the to talk about/to not talk about issue is a minor one.

9. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

Well, if you really want to split hairs here...
    The way you say it..the question is actually..."Could you talk about the way your guard got hot in the second half?" without the "could you."
    It isn't a big deal.
    But I think the more you structure a question the better the answers will be.
    Especially when I'm talking to high schoolers. I can get them to answer in the way I'm looking for if I structure the question a certain way.
    Sometimes though, coaches say what they want to say no matter what you ask them...so then it really doesn't matter what you ask.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

have you ever sucked all the cock you wanted?

11. moonlight

moonlight Member

Talk about all the cocks you wanted to suck.

12. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

What cocks do you want to suck?

Draft saved Draft deleted