1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Those who have left the business - how painful was it?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by wonkintraining, Jan 16, 2007.

1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Journalism has been such a big part of my life ... my first writing was for my dad, RAllen13, way back in 1983 ... and it's what sustained me for most of my nine years in the military and my first seven years out of uniform.

But writing has always been my addiction, and putting words on the screen (or on paper, depending on the situation, etc.) satisfies me to the point that I don't really miss the newsroom, pay, deadlines, etc. I still get a high out of seeing my name in print, though.

2. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I need to write to be happy, but having goals and meeting them in my personal writing can be just as fulfilling as writing professionally. I don't have the fun of knowing that thousands are reading, but I do enjoy writing about whatever I want to write about, instead of detailing Bumblefuck College's race to the conference volleyball title. Maybe now that I work "only" 40 hours a week, I'll write that book I've always dreamed about...

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I think the job you find outside the business is key. If you find something else you love, you'll be fine. There are positives and negatives.

But if your new career sucks, or if it is just something to get by, I think leaving sportswriting will eat at you.

4. rallen13

rallen13 Member

I just had a moment during a meeting that I wasn't involved in was going on in the LMC.

It was always fun for me when my son (AlleyAllen) was growing up. I got to take him to games, not just as a spectator, but as an active participant in the pressbox. He even served as a press-runner during the 1986 Olympic Festival in Houston while i was doing the stadium PA for ice hockey. And my daughter recently helped me cover the US Womens soccer tour game at Reliant Stadium. For the old dude, that was fun, being able to work side by side with my kids and see their names in print. One of my favorites was about 5-6 years ago when AlleyAllen and I each covered different high school volleyball playoff games and our stories (and names) ended up side-beside on the front page of the sports section. Those are times to remember if I never write another story.

5. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

AA, that's so cool, having your dad come on the site . . . Welcome RAllen!

Addressing the thread, I've been thinking lately of leaving the business, although as Birdscribe pointed out, it might be more that the business is leaving me. If it happens, I'm thinking I'll be happy to see it in my rear-view mirror.

My wife left the business for a couple years about 8 years ago, and she missed it. She's been back for about 6 years and is fairly happy she returned.

6. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

A case of the grass isn't greener on the other side?

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Like anything else, I think if you replace the business with a new career direction you can embrace, it will be easier to leave it.

8. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Depends...

I'm happier at this job than I have been with any other I've held, and the only way it could be better is if they paid me to do some writing, too. Or pay me to post here...I'm not picky.

9. Hed bust

Hed bust Guest

Same thing here. I got out in Jan. 2005 and got into Public Affairs soonafter.
    Having nights and weekends off is cool. I can actually go to games as a fan.
    Watching the playoff games this past weekend and prior, I've been so glad it hasn't been me scurrying around on those fields chasing down fat-headed players or coaches.
    I don't miss the mostly stale-atmosphere (in my estimation) press rooms and meeting the gameday deadline.
    After the game, I wanna go with everyone else and have a sodey-pop.
    Public Affairs is often dull, though, compared to the grind of daily news. I miss that.

10. JackS

JackS Member

It is not cool. Now I feel like I have to behave myself with AA. ;)

But seriously, if you still enjoy the business, I don't agree with leaving of your own accord just because times are tough. Let them kick you out. Maybe you'll make it to retirement without ever getting kicked out.

That said, it's not a bad idea to have a fallback if you do get kicked out.

11. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

When I left, it was because I felt bored with my writing job. I felt like I was using 2 percent of my brain -- which, since we use only 10-20 percent of our brain, is even less then it seems.

Anyway, I took a communications job with a local non-profit company. Here are the benefits:
    -An instant 33 percent raise.
    -Less work, less stress
    -People actually come up to you and tell you that you did a good job.
    -(biggest one for me) No phone calls at home. None. Zero.
    -A future
    -A savings account

Yes, I miss writing. And yes, there are times when I wish I was back. But I'm probably only remembering the good times, not the horrible lows. In this age of blogs, web sites and freelancing, you can always find somewhere to write.

And, hey, you can always go back.

12. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

The reasons for my leaving seem to have somewhat evaporated, but I don't regret it. My wife (at the time) was pushing me to get a better-paying job with a chance for real advancement, a job which would allow me to spend more time with my son.

Draft saved Draft deleted