1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Those poor kids (2011 List of Most Popular Baby Names)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JackReacher, May 14, 2012.

1. Editude

Editude Active Member

Mine was No. 2 for 16 straight years but never reached the top. Kind of like the Bills.

2. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Went to a track meet the other day and there was a girl with the name Shampane.

3. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

My name was at one time ranked in the top 100, two years before my birth actually. It hasn't been in the top 1,000 since 2007. Nobody likes my name any more.

I know quite a few kids named Landon, and it's interesting watching the popularity of his name the last 40 years. It slowly rose in popularity in the 1970s and 1980s, where I'm guessing Michael Landon had a lot to do with it. Now a regular in the top 100, I'm guessing Landon Donovan is to thank.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

This I gotta hear. Spill it!

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

But generations of Borts will still be able to get their personalized license plates at Itchy and Scratchy Land.

6. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

That's just mean.

7. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

One of the worst things you can do to a child is name it something they'll have to spell every time they pronounce it.

8. KG

KG Active Member

What's funny is I had read that using a K instead of C was the more common spelling for my son's name in this country (not the reason I chose it), but the C spelling is higher on the list. I know how it goes though, my name is the same. Some are with a C, some are with a K.

9. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

The year I was born (1982) my name was No. 7, now it's No. 14. It peaked at No. 3 from 2002-2006.
    My middle names was 23 the year I was born and is now 63

10. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

My name was No. 4 the year I was born. Sort of surprising considering I didn't do a thing as a kid -- school, sports, scouts, whatever -- where there weren't at least four other kids with my name.

One reason we vowed not to name any of our kids like that. They are all traditional, normal spelled names and are Nos. 826, 769 and 231 (unfortunately rising at a decent clip) this year, respectively. I've only run into two with the same name as our third born -- both in the last week -- and that's it.

Why people get crazy and so in love with the popular names, especially if they aren't that traditional, is beyond me.

11. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

I'm fading in popularity, from No. 3 in 1970 (the year I was born) to 16th in 2011. As a non-sequitor, I was almost named Christopher — my very non-imaginative parents took the hospital's Baby A and Baby B cards for my older twin sisters and named them Amy and Beth, and when I came along, they strongly considered keeping the alphabetical thing going. Instead, they skipped 'C' because I already had a cousin named Chris, and went with "David." I would've gone from sixth to 21st during the same span if they'd stuck to the pattern.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Xzavier and Alexzander are both far, far ahead of my name on this year's list, and I didn't think mine was that uncommon.
    I thought lead paint consumption had decreased in the last few decades?

Draft saved Draft deleted