1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Those poor kids (2011 List of Most Popular Baby Names)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JackReacher, May 14, 2012.

1. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Mine last cracked the top 1,000 in 2002 at No. 998. Two spots below "Ean."

It wasn't in the top 1,000 when I was born.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Not too many years ago there was a news item about a girls high school basketball team whose starting five consisted of five different spellings of Kaitlin.

3. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

My first name is No. 17. Middle name is No. 18. Go figure.

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

My name was 195 the year I was born (1965), last on the list in 2003 (and plummeting off the charts) at 963. My son's name was 125 the year he was born (2000), had moved up five spots last year.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I've noticed that two-syllable boys names ending in "n" have exploded in popularity in recent years. My generation of cousins and siblings alone have kids named Collin, Brayden, Logan, Landon and two Dustins.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Both of my kids' names were in the 100-200 range, which surprises me because neither name is uncommon.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Lots of World Cup fans over here, I guess: "Iker" jumped from #646 to #397 after Spain's victory.

8. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

My name is not in the top 1,000.

My name, with the addition of an "e," then shoots up to 42nd.

I'm surprised my little one's name (Case) showed up at all, though it was in the 640s.

9. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Mine was 162nd the year I was born and hasn't been that high since. Ranks in the mid-600s now.

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Wow, my middle name, which I use in my byline, has rocketed from never-heard-it when I was a kid into the top 50...FOR GIRLS!

Shoot me now!

11. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

My name seems to have peaked in popularity in the late 80s, but it was still in the high 300s. The year I was born, it was 890. I didn't meet anyone else with the spelling of my name (variations are higher ranked) until I was in college.

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Both my kids are top 3 names for their gender, although we have a spelling of my son's name which is in the 300s.

Draft saved Draft deleted