1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Those of you with NESN and who love baseball history...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Corky Ramirez up on 94th St., Jul 11, 2007.

1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

NFL Films was way ahead of the times with what they did. Talk about great propaganda.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure there's a decent amount of official baseball "film" in existence, a la NFL Films, but MLB has never been savvy enough to take advantage of it. I know there's color footage of the World Series going at least back into the 1950s.

The 1982 Brewers Harvey's Wallbangers DVD I recently got (a quantum leap for MLB in marketing its past, even though the concept is obvious as can be), which has some fascinating footage in it, is mostly culled from official stuff.

3. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

I'm an idiot. Yes, Ken Coleman. Such is the case when your fingers work independently from your brain.

Earliest World Series that I'm aware of is 1952. It's not all seven games, but does have Game 7 from Ebbetts Field. The first color World Series that's complete is 1969 between the Orioles and Mets; I have Game 7 of the 1968 WS that is in black and white (Harey Carey did color commentary because I believe he was a Cardinals broadcaster back then).

For games from this era (50s, 60s, 70s), most stations used tapes multiple times and just taped over things; Buckweaver is correct. The vast majority of these tapes that survived were network feeds and not local (I have the Raiders-Steelers AFC championship and every commercial break has Joe Garagiola hawking Dodges and Chryslers). Once the 1980s came along with their VCRs, that's where you start seeing local broadcasts and, conversely, more games. I got started into this hobby because my father taped the three Giants playoff games in 1986. From those three, I now have 75.

Believe me when I say if you have a day to do nothing, popping in Game 6 of the 1979 World Series (John Candelaria vs. Jim Palmer) or a 1974 MNF game between the Cowboys and Eagles (won on Tom Dempsey's last-minute field goal) is a treat.

4. Bubbler

I envy you. That would indeed be sweet.

Just out of curiosity, why Game 6? A quick glance of my baseball encyclopedia tells me it was 4-0 Pirates, with two runs scored in the seventh and eighth.

I think you wanted to see the majesty that was the catching of Dave Skaggs. Just my theory.

5. Bubbler

Ed Ott always seemed to be wearing the mustard yellow Pirates batting helmet in his baseball cards and it made his alabaster skin tone look ultra-white as a result. I think he was so white, he somehow tripped over the space continum/antimatter line and was actually negative black.

Though his '78 card totally disproves my theory ... so maybe I'm thinking of someone else.

[​IMG]

6. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

Perhaps Steve Nicosia? He shared duties behind the plate with Ott for the Series whenever a lefty was on the mound (Flanagan, McGregor).

I used Game 6 just for an example. Any game is good. Phillies-Cubs from '79 (23-22 game), Yankees-Tigers from 1976 (if only because it was broadcast two hours after I was born, and Mark Fidrych pitched), or my favorite, Giants-Eagles from 1970 (when Cosell was drunk on the air and the game was played at a frigid Franklin Field). I know there's more than one person who would love to see these games, in their entirety, on TV, with the original ads. That what baffles me about ESPN Classic showing Classic Poker. talk about not giving a shit....

7. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Anyone remember about 10-12 years ago, when Classic Sports Network did the Greatest World Series? They replayed most of the best Game 1, the best Game 2, etc.

Naturally, Game 6 was from the '75 Series. I have that show on tape and even though it wasn't the entire game, it would be pretty damn good if they didn't keep cutting away to GARY CARTER (WTF?) and the guy hosting it who escapes me now.

For the life of him, Carter couldn't STFU. Between him and Joe Morgan, it's a wonder baseball can still manage to be entertaining in 2007.

8. I'd much rather watch the 2005 World Series of Poker than some old baseball game.

(Yes, ESPN Classic, I'm pointing at you with my middle finger.)

9. Can't be Harrelson. He was playing for the Sox at the time.

10. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

exactly.....he wasn't he on a Sports Illustrated cover in '67? as Corky mentioned above...it was Ken Coleman.

NESN shows a lot of older stuff, especially with the Bruins. This past winter I probably watched more Bruins games from the 80's than the current season, hear that Jacobs? And they're all not "famous" playoff games, they'll show a game from February 1989 vs. the Leafs and it'll be 10x more entertaining than the current product.

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I remember watching that Twins-BoSox game on NBC. BUt I didn't grow up in the New England area.

12. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Reason for PBS to exist in the 1980s: Channel 2 in Boston used to pull out the entire Game 6 of the '75 Series and the Celtics-Suns triple-OT Game 5 of the '76 NBA Finals for fundraisers.

Draft saved Draft deleted