1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Those of you with NESN and who love baseball history...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Corky Ramirez up on 94th St., Jul 11, 2007.

1. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

...It really is the slowest sports day of the year, huh?

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Indeed, indeed. Keep it comin', amigos.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I think you might be right,,,

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

That's a shame. It's too bad TV has never taken its role as a medium of record as seriously as newspapers do and it's a cautionary tale as to why newspapers should never give that responsibility up no matter how the product is delivered.

How many World Series telecasts are still around from that era?

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Boston 6-2 after 6. Yaz went yard for 44th homer — most ever by a lefty in Boston.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

More here: http://www.boston.com/sports/nesn/aboutus/news/02_13_07/

7. Bubbler

That looks fascinating. I love old shit like that.

There used to be a network that aired that kind of thing ... can't remember what it was called ... ESPN something?

8. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Cool. Any reason they saved this particular game and not another from the pennant race? Or the World Series? Wasn't some of that stuff just saved by accident?

9. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

That's what I figured. Too bad. I'd love to see the 1958 NFL title game to see if it really was the "greatest game ever played."

10. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Buck, wait til football playoff season, when ESPN and the Deuce start running "NFL's Greatest Games" at odd hours in the day and late night. They did the '58 title game, and pieced together from film virtually the whole game (some cut probably to fit the 90-minute slot) along with fresh interviews from most of the still-living principals (I'd say this one's six or seven years old) and the original radio PBP (IIRC, the Giants' with Chris Schenkel or the Colts' with Chuck Thompson). NFL Films usually makes two new ones each year, and they've done the Ice Bowl, Super Bowl III, and a load of classic playoff games through the '90s. I can't wait for the Tuck Bowl and Super Bowl 36 to get the treatment. Also, I don't think they've done the Dolphins-Chiefs double-OT '71 playoff, either.
    Back on topic: I got back from walking the dog just in time to see Yaz go deep (bummer - I've never seen the clip of Zoilo Versalles botching the double play ball to set it up). No replay.
    Brutal day for the cameramen - bright sun and all that light adjustment to make as the game went on, technical stuff I didn't pick up on when I was probably watching this game at age 5.
    If you feel Ken Coleman was a strong PBP guy ('67 was his prime), you should be fortunate you didn't hear him do Boston University football in 93-94, the 1-AA playoff years (three years before John Silber nuked football). Let's just say Ken stayed a little too long at the party.
    I saw the season overview show back in May, and there is an impressive amount of video available considering that only 50-55 games were televised locally back then. That was a pretty impressive brawl with the Yankees in June, and amazingly, nobody was ejected.
    Mom, Mrs. Terrier, or whoever, I want the DVD for my birthday.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Oooh, I've got the Ice Bowl in its entirety on DVD. :D

You know, I don't mind all the "NFL's Greatest Games" stuff on ESPN. I can watch that for hours. I just wish they would do the same for classic baseball, too. And hockey, and basketball.

But most importantly, baseball.

12. Bubbler

Yeah, it would be great if there was a network devoted to that.

(It's after midnight, so I didn't repeat the same thing in the same day)

Draft saved Draft deleted