1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Those "chilling" moments in movies

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Angola!, Mar 20, 2008.

1. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Seriously? "The shark scene"?

And if the last scene in "Se7en" is too freaky, try watching it re-enacted with stuffed animals:

http://www.collegehumor.com/video:143340

I've probably watched this 50 times, but it's more awesome every time.

2. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Pele's bicycle kick goal against the Nazis in "Victory."

The scene in "The Rookie" when Dennis Quaid is told by the Durham skipper to tell that one guy he's going to the majors, "Being that you're going too."

The final scene in "Unforgiven" when the vintage William Munny shows up. Little Bill is getting the locals organized to hunt down Munny, and then all you see is this shotgun out of the side of the screen, a click, silence and a shot of a pissed off Clint Eastwood.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

The Descent was one of the few decent horror movies of the past 10 years.

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

When Buffalo Bill, acting like a poor, likable schlep with a broken arm, has the senator's daughter in the van helping him with the couch, and out of nowhere, he says: Are you about a size 14?

5. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Good call. Came and went without notice, but a nice piece of work.

6. maberger

maberger Member

'when a stranger calls'

i dont want to give away the movie, but there are two right in the beginning, and one giant one right near the end. i'd never really been scared in a movie theater before but wow.

and i'd second 'the shining', but i'd say the sequence where danny sees the twins and they aske him to come play with them forever. also the first few minutes where the POV is nicholson, duvall and the kid driving to the hotel and following them up mountain -- until the road turns and the camera continues off the cliff.

7. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

I've got a couple of cliche ones, so please forgive me:

Sixth Sense: When Bruce Willis' character realizes he's dead. I know everyone says they could see it coming, but I think the first time you watch that movie, it throws you for a loop at the end.

Blair Witch Project: The final scene, when she sees her friend standing in the corner of that basement, then we hear the thud and the camera falls. The first time I saw that, it got me.

Misery: When Kathy Bates takes the sledgehammer to James Caan's feet. It's one of the few scenes from a movie that I can not watch.

The Omen: All I need to hear is that damn music, and the hair of the back of my neck stand at attention and beckon me to turn the channel.

8. Yodel

Yodel Active Member

I thought that part of the movie was the scariest. The cannibalistic bat men made the movie kind of silly. I think that movie would have been better served to just play on the fear of being lost in a cave.

9. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Sanctus! CHEESY POOFS!

Sanctus! Cheesy Poofs!

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

I'll assume you mean the original and not the remake, which was one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Pointless beyond comprehension. But lotsa shots of the star in tight T-shirts.

11. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

You mean there was more to comprehend than that?

12. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

The movie wasn't great, but the scene in Exorcist III where the possessed killer sneaks up behind the nurse working the late shift and is going to cut her head off (they don't show that) is so chilling it's not even funny.

The great part is that they build up to the scene with about five minutes of false alarms and little things, lull you into a sense of security and then BAM!!!

I still can't watch The Exorcist or The Exorcist III at night without the lights on.

Draft saved Draft deleted