1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Those "chilling" moments in movies

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Angola!, Mar 20, 2008.

1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I refuse to watch it on television. It loses too much for me.

2. casty33

casty33 Active Member

Redrum is chilling. But I prefer "Wendy, I'm home," as he swings the axe through the bathroom door. Nicholson at his best.

But I'm old enough to still get chills every time I see Janet Leigh step in the shower and anticipate Norman's attack in "Psycho."

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

"Shenendoah," when the deserter puts his sword through Jimmy Stewart's son's stomach.

"Carrie," when the hand comes up from the grave.

"Jaws," the shark scene.

"Apollo 13," the four minutes of silence before they're back in the atmoshpere. You know they made it but it's still tense.

"Shawshank," when Andy emerges from the tunnel, and the sense of vindication when the warden blows his brains out.

"Road to Perdition," when Tom Hanks gets whacked at the end.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

There's a couple scenes from "Starship Troopers" that get me. The first is when they get to the bunker on one of the bug planets, and everyone inisde is dead — from having their brains sucked out the top of their head. The holes in the tops of their heads give me a little shiver every time I see it.
    But not as much as later in the movie, when the Brain Bug actually does suck the guy's brains out. Seeing the little bits of brain flow up the tube, and the guy's eyes go white as they roll back into his head...gives me the heebie-jeebies just thinking about it.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

It is FX. They'll let a little more go. But, yeah, a lot of movies are worthless when put on cable.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I can watch Major League on television, mostly because the editing is hilarious: "Forget you, Jobu." And the lack of swearing doesn't take away from the plot of Major League. But I think it does with X. A good friend of mine hadn't seen it, despite all of my glowing reviews. We were on the phone one night, and she said it was on the tube. I pleaded with her not to watch it then and just wait until I gave her my copy. With that movie, I think, you need every bit of it from the racist tongues, the sex scene, the curbing, the rape scene and even Frankie Stakino singing in the first few minutes. All those parts make X what it really is -- fucking incredible.

7. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

Here's a pretty good (and NSFW) list:

http://www.filmsite.org/scariestscenes1.html

I didn't go through it all, but three caught my eye:

* The ending to "The Birds."

* Say what you will about the movie itself, but in "The Blair Witch Project," the girl's teary confession in the tent seemed very real the only time I saw it.

* The opening scene in "Cliffhanger."

8. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Great call on Return of the King, Angola. That scene is awesome: a few brave souls against insurmountable odds, and the look on Theoden's face when he sees what the battlefield looks like, but gathers himself to turn and give the speech. Awesome. Aragorn's speech later in the film isn;t close.

- The Exorcist. Whole movie.

- The Omen, when they find the dog carcass in the grave.

And, of course:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Brad Pitt realizing what's in the box in Se7en.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

When Ian McKellen is marching in front of Brad Renfro in Apt Pupil...

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Shit....here it comes again...

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

In Rocky, when, after being dominated for the first round, Rocky knocks down Apollo with his first punch and they show the guys at the dingy bar going nuts.

The whole buildup, where the announcers are treating Rocky like a joke, where the promoter is just sitting at ringside contentedly with his cigar, and Apollo's dancing around, then Boom!. That one punch.

Draft saved Draft deleted