1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Those "chilling" moments in movies

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Angola!, Mar 20, 2008.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

You know those moments in movies where the hair on the back of your neck stands up? Or that moment when you feel the emotion roll over you?
    Well, which moment in a movie is your favorite?

For me, I was rewatching the Lord of the Rings, Return of the King tonight and the Ride of the Rohirrim does it for me. Gondor is done, the orcs are moving in, the big, bad dragon thing is about to kill Gandalf and then the horn sounds and you realize allies still exist.
    The King does his glorious speech, complete with the saber rattling and then the ride, with the music in the background and we see the almighty war horse at its best, running the enemy over (I'd give my left nut to see this scene and the Battle of Helm's Deep on the big screen again).

Anyway, what's your favorite moment like this? Hoosiers? Braveheart? What?

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Silence of the Lambs, when Lecter escapes from the hotel.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. JoelHammond

JoelHammond Member

There were about 20 in "No Country For Old Men," but the worst was when the bad guy walked into that hotel right behind Woody Harrelson. That was f-ing freaky.

5. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

Russian Roulette scene in The Deer Hunter.

My chest started to hurt until I realized I had stopped breathing.

6. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Edward Norton's reveal in Primal Fear....

Ripley realizes the alien is in the escape pod....

Tommy looks into an empty room in Goodfellas...

7. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Halloween. Jaime Lee Curtis walks up the creaking stairs slowly. Eerie music playing simple note over and over softly. She opens door and the camera stays on her for a minute. When it's revealed what she sees, together with the piercing music ... even after seeing it 100 times, it gives me shivers.

The Chicago clock in "The Natural" also. Excellent scene/music.

8. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Even more so than that ...

"All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy."

9. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

"Darling, light of my life, I'm not going to hurt you. ... I said 'I'm not going to hurt you. I'm just going to bash your brains in!' I'm going to bash them right the fuck in."

10. The Usual Suspects .. One of my all-time favorite scenes:
    When Kevin Spacey limps out of the police station and Chaz Palmentri(sp?), with a smug smile, looking at the pin-up board behind realizes what just happended.
    AWESOME!

Silence of the Lambs: When Lector rises up from the ambulance gurney. And when the agents are at the wrong house and Foster is alone with Buffalo Bill.

Braveheart: Gibson's speech - Yeah, I know I suck.

Field of Dreams: When Ray plays catch with his dad.. I am chilled and teary at the same time.

Rocky IV: When he cuts Drago
    "He's not a machine! He's not a machine!"

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You know, the death of Optimus Prime always gets the love on threads like this, but the scene earlier in the movie when Starscream bursts onto the bridge of the Autobot spaceship and starts gunning down good guys left and right. It was the moment we were introduced to the idea that an Autobot could die as the lights went out in their visual receptors .... Prowl .... Ratchet ... Ironhide...gone, just like that....

12. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

The opening scene of Waterworld. At that moment, I finally realized that someone had actually greenlighted that waste of time and money.

Draft saved Draft deleted