1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Those boys are so well behaved

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Aug 29, 2014.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The local coverage of the Jackie Robinson West Little League team that won the US championship was way over the top in my opinion.

One of the things that kept coming up in the coverage was how polite and well behaved the kids were. The fact that one kid pumped his fist after hitting a home run, and then went over to the opposing coach to apologize for his showmanship got a lot of attention.

But of course, white folks seemed just a little too surprised by how well behaved a group of inner city African-American kids could be:

I noticed there was one burly kid who was particularly articulate.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Your closing line was worth the wait.

3. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Are you just assuming those quoted are white?
    Sorry, but I have a hard time summoning outrage that there is a positive story coming out of Chicago's black community. I found the following passage a bit more objectionable, but maybe it would play into the other thread discussion.

4. YankeeFan

Of course they're not "typical" inner city kids:

5. YankeeFan

I have no idea about the person quoted in the story, but the media folks i heard making the point were all white, and based on Williams take on the comments, I'm guessing the folks bringing up the topic to him were likely white.

And, don't rush the thread.

I had a slow roll out planned. The charter school stuff was up next.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

How can they do so well when their great great great great great grandparents were on a slave ship?

[/putting down molotov cocktail, and taking off for the weekend..]

7. I wonder if they all shower at the same time?

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Obviously the answer is to get kids out of those load-of-shit public schools, in which it's impossible for kids to succeed. Just in case, we better cut funding for the public schools and funnel it to the charter school, where success is guaranteed.

Draft saved Draft deleted