1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thor is now a Goddess

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Jul 15, 2014.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

There might be a *tiny* of a correlation/causation overassumption going on there.

Because print media of all kinds hit the death spiral at that same time.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Agreed. And the "Death of....." stories have only become more common even as the comic book industry rebounded somewhat. Not that I see any causation there. Some of it was newer readers picking up the books. Some could just be the ever shortening attention spans of Americans. A comic book is a heck of a lot easier to read than a book.

Of course, the success of so many movies based on comics has been a big boost.

3. Morris816

Morris816 Member

Trying to ret-con a character that has been around for years is guaranteed to fail. What, is this the response to DC deciding to turn Superman into a jerk because Boy Scouts don't sell comics any more?

On the other hand, I do like the idea of a Black Widow movie, given how awesome Scarlett Johansson has portrayed her. I'm still waiting for Marvel Studios to roll out a Hulk film featuring Mark Ruffalo, though.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Another big reason comics went into a tailspin wasn't just the "death of" gimmicks, it was gimmicks in general.
    You had hologram covers. Foil covers. Multiple covers. Constant reboots, miniseries and No. 1 issues every couple of years -- Venom had nearly 100 issues of his own comic in the 1990s without having an ongoing series.
    Mega-crossovers that started with similar titles (12-part X-Men crossovers spread across four books, for example), then eventually came to include dozens of books across the entire universe and never seemed to end. DC is especially guilty of this. All they do is go from one giant crossover to the next.
    During one of the DC crossovers a couple of years ago, my comic shop was pulling most of the "Blackest Night" books for me. Somehow I ended up reading a "Justice League Detroit" comic in which I could vaguely identify exactly two of the characters. It was like an alcoholic hitting rock bottom.

Add in spiraling prices -- 20 years ago a single issue was an affordable $1.25 or $1.50, now I think it's $2.95 for most books -- and it just became way too much to keep up with.
    I pulled the ripcord about two years ago. I was reading six or seven books a month and somehow all of them came to a stopping point around the same time because of impending crossovers and reboots. My local comic shop went out of business around the same time. It was the perfect time to get out of the hobby, and I haven't looked back. Don't miss it a bit, and I probably haven't missed anything new and fresh, either.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I've heard one rumor about the next Avengers movie that would set up a Hulk movie very nicely, though everything I've read on the subject makes it seem like they would rather just keep him as part of Avengers movies rather than the protagonist in his own.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

I'm a comic purist. I don't like Thor with a bra and a hammer. I don't think this idea will fare well.

7. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Interesting timing since the movie franchise has been successful, at least from a financial standpoint.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Superman has always been a jerk.

http://superdickery.tumblr.com/

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Will her chest be even larger than the current Marvel movie Thor?

10. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

What happens first? Thor turns back into a man or Wolverine comes back alive?

11. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

You know, I like my slash-fic as much as anybody else but this is a little too mainstream for me....

12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Don't fuck with the lords of hell.

Draft saved Draft deleted