1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thor is now a Goddess

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Marvel Comics makes Thor a thunder goddess

Thor is now a Goddess of Thunder.

Marvel Comics announced Tuesday that the hammer-wielding Norse superhero will be a woman in upcoming comic book issues. Marvel was thin on details explaining the switch, but said in a press release that "no longer is the classic male hero able to hold the mighty hammer."

The new Thor was debuted on "The View" where artwork was revealed showcasing a buxom blonde clad a caped costume and brandishing the trademark hammer.

Series writer Jason Aaron says in a statement that "This is not She-Thor. This is not Lady Thor. ... This is THE Thor."

The Marvel universe has historically been male-dominated, but that may be changing. Marvel Studios is developing a stand-alone film for Black Widow, the character played by Scarlett Johansson.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

There have been temporary switches like this before. If I remember correctly, Loki was a woman for a while.

Either way, it is idiotic. Replace the character with a woman? No problem. But stuff like this is just silly.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Ever since "Adventures in Babysitting" came out, we thought Thor was a homo. Turns out he was actually transgender.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Another stupid-ass stunt which will eventually be retconned out, like "Death of Superman."

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

7. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

I guess Wonder Man isn't that far off.
    [​IMG]

8. outofplace

"Death of Superman" was relatively new ground at the time. The problem is that it was too successful, leading both Marvel and DC to go crazy with killing off major characters and bringing them back.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Negative-6

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

"Successful?" It essentially completely tanked the print comics industry.

Bazillions of people ran out to buy the "special collector's editions," then two weeks later when Superman came bouncing perkily out of the grave, they realized they'd been had like the complete suckers they were, then they threw the "collector's editions" in the bottom of a box in the basement, and swore to never buy a comic book again.

And most never have. And the sales figures prove it.

And you can buy those "collector's editions" for 50 cents apiece on eBay. Bazillions of 'em.

11. outofplace

That bit in bold is what I was talking about. Not quality, but sales. "Death of Superman" sold and sold very well. Also, it wasn't two weeks later. He was out of the books a lot longer than that, though I don't remember exactly how long it went on.

Other death stories sold as well, even though more and more readers came to realize they were temporary. The death of Captain America was an example. Captain American books haven't always been successful, but that run with the death of Steve Rodgers and Bucky Barnes temporarily taking on the role was successful financially and earned a good bit of critical praise.

Is the gimmick badly overdone these days? No doubt about it. That is one reason Marvel's Ultimate line has any fans at all despite storytelling that has been uneven, at best, for years. For the most part, dead is dead in that line. (Peter Parker "returned" recently, but it's pretty damn unlikely that it is really him.)

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

This is remarkably well played.

Never really thought of it this way, but I have to admit that the end of my comic book collecting roughly coincided with this event. Part of that was largely that I was getting older and turned more toward film, but in hindsight, knowing that the books I had been collecting weren't ever going to be worth a damn turned me off. There were other places to find compelling stories. Comic books had previously separated themselves by holding potential future value.

Draft saved Draft deleted