1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thompson in '08

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PhilaYank36, May 30, 2007.

1. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

Saw Thompson on TV last night, in a shot where clearly he had not had time to put on his makeup. He looked old and worn, and he hasn't even seriously started a campaign yet. I wonder about his staying power.

If the religious right won't like him--as Zagoshe says--does that make him more palatable to the left? I would say no. This is a cake Republican candidates can neither have nor eat.

He is the Republican Obama, the candidate who makes the party feel good. Whether that status makes these two viable against Giuliani and Clinton remains to be seen.

2. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

Word for freaking word:

http://mediamatters.org/items/200706020001?f=h_top

This is why I can only chuckle at assumptions that the next president will be a Democrat. Whether it's Thompson, Giuliani, McCain or one of McCain's pet turtles, the '08 GOP nominee will get the Bush 2000 treatment -- super sized -- from the shit-for-brains Washington press corps.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Sorry, but Hillary and Obama aren't shoo-ins. While either one might be popular now, ask yourself in 15 months if America is r-e-al-l-y ready to elect a female or a black male. While I tend to vote Democratic in national elections and would be on their side, I tend to doubt mainstream America will elect either of those two Democratic choices.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Actually, slap, I have a hard time seeing how anyone either than Hilary or Obama is going to get the Democratic nomination.

Edwards, I just don't see it. I don't think Gore will ruin, I really don't. Richardson is running for VP.

It's a long way off, but I think you're looking at one of those two...

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

He gave a speech to the Lincoln Club in Orange County a few days after the GOP debate at the Reagan Library. He didn't knock anybody out with the speech. It seems the Fred we see on movie screens is a lot more of an appealing candidate than the real deal. Don't know how he will fare in an improv setting like a debate.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

We wouldn't be lucky enough to get a fucking stud like that as president.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I didnt say they werent going to get the nomination. I said I dont think either one is electable.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Huh?

So a comedian and a conservative asshole use the word "phony," and a right-leaning talk show host asks a guest if he or she thinks Edwards is a phony... so this is evidence that the Washington press corps is going to lay down for a Thompson candidacy? Really?

I think Thompson has a solid shot at the presidency simply because he doesn't have any glaring shortcoming. Giuliani? His views on abortion and gay rights will likely kill his shot in the primaries. McCain? His war stance may eliminate him. Romney? I have a hard time believing the religious right is going to embrace a Mormon. Obama? Young and short on experience (although I don't think his skin color will really matter much to voters). Hillary? Too many people hate her on both sides of the aisle. Edwards? No really obvious weakness, but does come across as a bit of a lightweight.

He's pretty damn conservative, which will have it's drawbacks in a general election. It will help him in the primaries though, and the Democrats have an endless capacity for fucking up the nominating process, so he could have a very good shot.

10. chazp

chazp Active Member

But he was great on Law and Order.

11. In Exile

In Exile Member

Don't like him as an actor, don't like him as a candidate. Policy positions aside, he comes off as someone pissed off that he has to deal with you.

12. He was awful in that role, which he sleepwalked through, as he wil the campaign. Man doesn't want to work hard,

Draft saved Draft deleted