1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thompson in '08

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PhilaYank36, May 30, 2007.

1. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

I just read this article about Fred Thompson seriously thinking about running for Prez next year. This seems great, as he's definitely a departure from the life-long politico-sleezes, but I don't really know too much about his beliefs and personal politics. Can anyone shed some light on this?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18938109/

PS - He also has one of the most under-rated lines in 80s movies: "The Ruskies don't take a shit without a plan."

2. John

John Well-Known Member

You trade paint one more time, you so much as touch, I'm gonna black flag the two of you, and tear apart your racecars for three-hundred laps. Then, if you pass inspection and you put your cars back together, I might let you back into the race.

3. If he runs and doesn't have any harmful skeletons in his closet, I don't see how anybody could beat him. This is no knock on Thompson, who seems to be a fine enough human being, but this is a country that elected Ronald Reagan and George W. Bush president. This is a country in which the first presidential election during the TV era went to the guy who had the better tan and didn't visibly sweat during the debates.

Thompson is a strong, no-nonsense, rugged, take-no-shit-from anybody male authority figure people have seen larger than life (on the big screen) for almost 20 years, and that's branded in their consciousness. If he runs as his standard movie persona and doesn't fuck up, he will receive a ton of votes on image alone.

4. Upper Tupper

Upper Tupper Member

Thompson was an asshole back in the Watergate days, he still is.

Just another conservative creep whose first item of business would be the call to bomb Iceland.

5. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

The three main things that weigh on my mind when considering candidates for the most corrupt position in politics (the presidency) are the candidate's stance on the environment, eliminating our need on oil (both foreign and domestic) and getting out of Iraq ASAP. What is Thompson's take on all these?

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Productive statement, here.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Slim chance of nomination, zero chance of election. Standing as the expression of conservative discontent with Rudy Giuliani is a sure path to oblivion.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Not counting him out . . . but he's bosom buddies with an animal like Bill Frist . . . which is an enormous black mark.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I'd say this is a manifestation of the Republicans REALLY not liking their slate of candidates.

10. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

That's exactly it. On the issues, there isn't a dime's bit of difference between Thompson and McCain. But because McCain is seen as the leader on the issues that piss off the base (immigration, campaign finance, etc.), Thompson seems like an appealing alternative. I think he has a decent shot at the nomination as long as he can build a strong organization in IA, NH and SC.

11. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

That's a difference on the issues. Thompson didn't take the unpopular McCain stance on immigration, didn't sponsor a campaign finance bill he knew was unconstitutional (or maybe he didn't know, not sure which is worse) etc. He also isn't quite as old.

12. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Thompson voted for McCain-Feingold.

Draft saved Draft deleted