1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thomas Pope promoted in Fayetteville (N.C.)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Todd M. Adams, May 4, 2009.

1. Todd M. Adams

Todd M. Adams Member

Veteran reporter Thomas Pope has been promoted to assistant sports editor in Fayetteville, N.C.

http://www.fayobserver.com/article?id=325445

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Fanfreakingtastic guy, one of the best out there. Congrats to Thomas, someone I'm lucky to call a friend. :)

3. SEeditor

SEeditor Member

This has been long overdue. Thomas is a jack-of-all-trades kind of guy there. He is well-deserving of this honor, and I also am glad to call him a friend.

4. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Thomas is a good guy. Glad to hear he got the promotion.

5. nitrobreath

nitrobreath Member

Thanks - much appreciated.

We have a great department, as evidenced by our long string of NCPA and APSE awards: a good mix of veteran and up-and-coming writers, a desk that does stellar design work, and an open-minded S.E. in Todd who'll help us keep raising the bar for ourselves.

(Plus, I don't have to give up the racing beat, which makes it all the better as far as I'm concerned.)

Thomas Pope, a.k.a. "Nitrobreath"

6. DCaraviello

DCaraviello Member

Nitrobreath? Gotta hear the story behind that one. Congrats, Thomas. I know you'll do a good job -- you always have.

7. nitrobreath

nitrobreath Member

Part of "nitrobreath" is pretty simple, David - I get jumpy if I can't get my head filled with nitromethane fumes at least a coupla times a year, even though it makes your eyes water like crazy. (I imagine it's like getting pepper-sprayed by the cops, so I must have some sort of masochistic tendency or somethin'.)

As for the "breath" part, I don't remember where I came up with that.

In hindsight, it sorta sounds like a medical condition, doesn't it? LOL ...

C'ya @ Darlington ...

8. sgaleadfoot

sgaleadfoot Member

Couldn't happen to a better person, big congrats.

9. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

T-Bone, just recently you busted my chops for being "management" now after I took my new gig. Welcome to the club. Congrats, Thomas, couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

10. Congrats, Thomas! You deserve all the best! Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. Enjoy it!

11. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Yo Thomas/Nitro,

Is Greg Barnes still at your shop?

If so, tell him Clute still sucks, last time I was there. (Even if it was a decade or so ago.)

12. nitrobreath

nitrobreath Member

Yeah, Barnes is still here. He and I both got nagged into play on the company's coed softball team again. He's got Greg at short and me at third. I'm out of position there - I'd rather be in left, but I do appreciate the much shorter jog to the dugout ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted