1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thomas Lake on Pop Herring, the man who "cut" Michael Jordan in high school

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by brandonsneed, Jan 11, 2012.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Goddammit, Thomas Lake is 31? I'm going to shoot myself.

Oh, who am I kidding. If I WERE a good writer, I'd still be doing it. And even if I'd been passable as a writer (which I will accept) I was never going to have the style to write these kinds of pieces.

It's why I adore magazine and book writers. I can make a story work for up to about 1500 words. Beyond that, I'm just not deep enough. So kudos to those who can. I just read them. :)

2. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

It's not in the swimsuit issues. It's in the issue with Jeremy Lin on the cover.

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

The Boy Who Died of Football was very good, but I think Lake's best was the rundown on what happened the night Darrent Williams got gunned down.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1184186/index.htm

The pacing in this story is incredible.

4. Quakes

Quakes Guest

I just got around to reading this one. Unbelievably good. It's up there with my favorite SI stories ever.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I got to wondering about Leonard story. There was no mention if they tested for steroids. Wonder if Lake asked the question.

Draft saved Draft deleted