1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thomas Lake on Pop Herring, the man who "cut" Michael Jordan in high school

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by brandonsneed, Jan 11, 2012.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Tim Shafer didn't pick me for the baseball team after two days of tryouts, though he gave me an A+ for my report on the book "The Physics of Baseball." That's when I started to figure I might be better with words.

2. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

I remember Jack McCallum writing in retrospect about Jordan at some point during the late 1990s or early 2000s. He might have been with Chicago, he might have been with Washington; the city doesn't matter as much as what was said. McCallum had talked with Jordan dozens of times, but Jordan knew McCallum was working on a story for Sports Illustrated, and when McCallum asked to talk with him, Jordan said something along the lines, "I like you Jack. I just don't like your magazine."

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. doodah

doodah Guest

I didn't get the impression that Jordan was a dick by reading the story. He invited Pop to the United Center. Such a dick move, I guess.

4. CA_journo

CA_journo Member

He invited Herring to the United Center to get booed by a sold out crowd who believed him to be that idiot that cut Michael Jordan from the basketball team. Yup. Swell guy.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

The story is well-written and interesting, but it's built entirely on a false premise. I've never heard of anyone disparaging Herring for cutting Jordan. And the idea that he didn't cut Jordan, but simply put him on JV is a silly semantic argument. If I tried out for a high school varsity team and didn't make varsity, I would consider it getting cut from varsity.

And Jordan is the king of trash talk. I never got the sense that his little jabs at Herring's decision to cut him were said with malicious intent. They seemed to be Jordan just being Jordan and talking a little trash. I always got the sense that Jordan genuinely appreciated the motivation and coaching he got from Herring (and Dean Smith and his other coaches).

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

To someone who knows that about Jordan, they can take away what you said. But for the casual fan, or the non-fan, they'll think that Jordan got screwed over and that the coach was an idiot for not seeing the greatest talent on earth.

7. doodah

doodah Guest

Everything I've heard about MJ indicates he's a nice, humble guy that's easy to deal with and mostly friendly with the press.

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Other than his mom, who have you talked to?

9. doodah

doodah Guest

Anonymous sources /crossthread

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Yeah, if I was going around saying those things about Michael Jordan, I'd stay anonymous too.

11. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Jordan himself built his myth atop "I got cut in high school." Motivational speakers, coaches and teachers have tried to instill confidence in their kids by citing the great Jordan coming back after being cut in high school. At his HOF induction speech, where Jordan said fuck you by name to everyone who's ever pissed him off, Jordan ripped on Herring for cutting him.

Jordan has never said, "You know what, I wasn't cut. I was sent to jayvee. Like 99 percent of sophomores."

Herring's current problems are way bigger than Jordan's lying, but it might be nice for Jordan to acknowledge may he's fucked over the guy. I won't hold my breath.

12. doodah

doodah Guest

He's a great basketball player. Instead of forgetting him, he has the wherewithal to keep his number and call him up, say hey man I'd really appreciate it if you come to the United Center, my treat. Such a dick.

Draft saved Draft deleted